Like the World keeps Spinning

By the time people had started to show up, the clouds had cleared and the sun blared bright in the sky. A gentle breeze blew through the garden, the trees swaying ever so slightly.

"Of course," Jennie had said, when Lisa pointed out how quickly the weather had changed. "I'm pretty sure my parents could control the sun if they wanted to."

She and Lisa were holding hands. It still felt unfamiliar to Jennie, odd that they should be having so much constant contact. Her hand felt like it was tingling, and every time Lisa's fingers brushed across hers, she felt something like sparks shooting up her arm.

It's just because you've never done this before, Jennie thought to herself. That's why it doesn't feel quite right.

But there was a nagging sensation in the back of her brain, one that said that it didn't feel wrong, the opposite in fact, that it felt very, very right.

The Kims were a boisterous lot. It seemed that the garden went from quiet tranquillity to a buzz of noise - loud laughter and chatter. They were all so talkative, too. Each and every one of them had something to say about something – even the people that Jennie was sure she'd only ever said one word to in her life.

"You two are so sweet," said one person whom Jennie didn't recognise at all but was pretty sure she was related to.

Lisa and Jennie had been leaning against the food table for most of the afternoon – "Party survival 101 – stick by the food," Lisa had said – but people were still gravitating around them.

The woman in front of them was still talking, but Jennie wasn't listening. She was just trying to rack her brains to remember her name.

"I'm so glad you've found someone," she said, tilting her head to the side with a smile. "We never thought you'd bring anyone home."

Was it Emily? Amelia?

Lise held onto Jennie's arm and rested her head on her shoulder. "I thought she'd never bring me home."

...Elizabeth? No, it was something that began with a B...

"Well, I'm glad she did. It's been lovely to meet you Lisa," the woman said, reaching forward to shake Lisa's hand.

...Bethany? Belinda? Lisa smiled and shook the woman's hand politely. "Lovely to meet you too."

It hit Jennie all at once – a flash of recognition. "Beatrice!" she said, a little too loudly, clicking her fingers and slapping her hand into her palm.

Beatrice blinked, taking a step back. "Sorry, did I say something wrong?"

"Oh, no!" Jennie stammered, her face flushing bright red. "You didn't- I just- Oh, Lili, I think that's my mother calling, we better go..."

She took Lisa's hand in hers and led her across the garden, leaving Beatrice hovering by the snack table, quite bewildered.

"Wow," Lisa said, her voice dry as she let herself be dragged away by Jennie. "That was spectacular."

"I couldn't remember her name, okay?" Jennie muttered, still bright red. She carded a hand through her hair and refused to look at her.

Lisa raised her eyebrows. "And I think she realised that by the way you yelled it in her face."

Jennie groaned. "Alright, we'll file this away as one of my particularly dumb moments and then we can just go ahead and never mention it again..."

She turned around and joined the party again, weaving her way through the crowd of people. Lisa watched her go, a grin on her face.