Cards on the Table

"Hi," Lisa said. "Sorry I'm late."

Jennie's jaw dropped, her mouth wide open and gaping as she stared down at the crowd, blinking a few times to make sure she wasn't seeing things.

No, no, she wasn't. Lisa was standing in the crowd, light blue dress on, hair curled into a bun, strands of golden brown curling around her cheek, and in that moment, Jennie could have sworn that there was a light shining around where she stood, that the clouds had parted just for her.

For a moment she could do nothing but stare, frozen in space, and it took a few moments and a strong nudge from her father to get her to move. Behind her, Jiyoung and Yerim were exchanging wide smiles, and Jiyoung said something that sounded like "Go get her, kid!" but Jennie barely heard. All she could think of in that moment was that Lisa was here, and she was here at the wedding, and oh, God, she had heard all of her speech.

She stumbled down from her parents' table, and as she moved, the earth seemed to fall away from her, everything around her turning into a blur as she focused on one thing and one thing only - Lisa.

And then she threw her arms around her, pulling her close and holding her tight, nearly knocking her backwards.

"I'm sorry," she mumbled, her head pressed into her shoulder. "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

A smile tugged at the edge of Lisa's lips and she pulled her closer still, her arms threading through hers and squeezing tight. "Hi, Nini."

"I didn't think you were - I didn't think I'd -" she said, her voice wobbling as her throat closed up and tears threatened to leak from her eyes. "I'm just so glad you're here."

They were still holding on tight to each other, like they were worried that if they didn't keep holding on, the other would just disappear.

"I know," Lisa said, softly. "I am too."

For a long moment, they were stationary, just clinging onto each other for dear life. Around them, the wedding guests hooted and clapped, and for once Jennie found herself unable to care. What did it matter, anyway, when Lisa was here?

"I'm still furious with you," Lisa said into her ear.

Jenniw pulled back, let out a choke of a laugh while a few tears spilled down her face. "I know," she said, wiping her face with the back of her hand. "You should be."

"But I shouldn't have left," Lisa said, pushing her bangs out of her eyes before clutching her arm. "That was dumb."

Jennie shook her head. "I'd have done what you did."

"No," Lisa said, quietly. "It didn't make sense for me to leave. I knew what I was walking out on, I should've stayed. Tried to sort it out. Look, Jen, we need to-"

"Lisa!"

She was cut off by Kwon's voice, so loud above the crowd that people turned to stare at him. He marched through the swathes of people to clap his hands down onto Lisa's shoulders. The poor girl shrank back.

"So wonderful that you came after all," he said, "after everything that happened, we weren't expecting you back. Poor Jennie made a right mess of things, didn't she?"

Jennie flushed a bright red. "Not helping," she muttered hotly.

Lisa was looking between Jennie and Kwon as if all she wanted to do was run away. Kwon didn't seem to notice.

"You really had become a part of the family, it would have been devastating if you hadn't shown up."

Jennie wanted to sink into the ground, especially when she saw Lisa staring straight at her feet, bangs falling in front of her face. Her eyes flickered up to the top table, and she shot a panicked look straight at his mother.