Leave My Pizza On The Doorstep

Her mother's home felt horribly small and scrubby after spending a month around the Kims. When Lisa stepped over the threshold, she stepped straight on a pile of letters, left lying haphazardly on the welcome mat. She bent down to pick them up, bringing into the kitchen, where her mother was already putting the kettle on.

"You ever think about picking these up once in a while?" Lisa said in lieu of a hello, dropping herself into a seat. She swiped a thumb up through one of the envelopes, ripping it open and pulling out the letter from inside.

"You don't want to be looking at those," her mother said, bustling over with tea and a plate of biscuits. "Nothing but scare-mongering, and certainly nothing that anyone but me needs to worry about."

Lisa thumbed through the letters, stopping about halfway through. "These are all bills, Mum."

"Yes," her mother said airily, taking them from her and absentmindedly slinging them across the counter. "Nothing to worry about."

"Are you having money problems?"

"I told you, there's nothing to worry—"

"Because if something's wrong, Mum, you really need to tell me."

"Lisa—"

"—I don't want you to think that you can't tell me things. I want you to tell me things. I want to—"

"Lalisa Manoban."

Her mother's voice took on a stern edge, and she drew herself to her full, imposing height.

Over all the years of knowing her, Jennie had told Lisa over and over again how intimidating her father was. She'd been a little afraid to meet her. But having got to know Jiyoung, and the way his eyes softened and crinkled when he smiled, and his shoulders squared in a way that you knew was a warning. There were moments where Lisa could see where Jennie was coming from, but really, when it came to Mrs. Manoban, Jennie's father did not compare.

Lisa pressed her mouth shut.

Her mother's eyes softened. "You really think I wouldn't tell you if things were that bad?"

She shrugged. "I don't know whether you would or not."

Chittip Manoban got down onto her knees, taking hold of Lisa's hands and looking at her in the eye. "You don't have to look after me, Lisa. I'm managing just fine."

"I just want to help."

"I know. You always have." Chittip cupped Lisa's cheek and smiled. "You're a marvel, you know that? All that pain and hurt, and all you do is worry about me. Do you know what it does to me to find out that my daughter's been so unhappy from someone else? When were you going to tell me about this girl?"

Lisa blinked. "Who told you?"

"Seulgi called me a few nights ago."

Lisa pulled away from her mother's grip, her fist clenching. "Should've known not to tell her anything! That little-"

Her mother let out a laugh, a deep belly laugh, and for a moment, Lisa was reminded strangely of Jiyoung. "She'd told me you'd react like that," Chittip said, as the laughter subsided. "Why don't you tell me what happened?"

Lisa tipped her head back and sighed. "It's a long story."

Chittip scraped a chair back from the table and sat down in front of her. "I've got all the time in the world."

There was a pause, as Chittip sat quietly and watched her daughter expectantly. It took a while for Lisa to look at her mother properly, her eyes focusing a moment on the kitchen window, looking out at the wind blowing outside. She gave another sigh.