It Was My Love Actually Moment

It had been a long couple of nights in the county jail, and Jennie hadn't had a shower in as many days. She smelt distinctly like floor and BO, and she couldn't help but feel sorry for her father, having to sit across from her on the ride home. It had been a long journey back to the house, and Jiyoung hadn't said a word to Jennie the whole way home. They'd spent the whole trip in stony silence, her father gripping the steering wheel so tight his knuckles were turning white. Jennie had spent the time with her forehead pressed against the window, staring out outside. Her expression hadn't changed since Jiyoung had picked her up that morning.

When they got in the house, Jiyoung exploded.

"What were you thinking?" he said, drawing himself to full height, and Jennie was painfully reminded of all those times her father had been called into school. "No, actually, don't even answer that, there's nothing you could say that could make this make sense."

Jennie gave him an answer anyway. "I was going after Lisa."

"So, you ran through security?"

"It was my Love, Actually moment," Jennie mumbled, feebly. At the incredulous look on her father's face, Jennie lifted her chin, and squared her shoulders. "Mum said I should."

As if by magic, Yerim appeared out of nowhere, her arms folded, her back against the door frame. Her mouth was pressed into a stern, thin, line. "I told you should go after her, not to jump security in airport," she said. "I thought you had common sense, Ruby Jane."

"You said I should fight for her," Jennie said.

"Not at the expense of the law, come on."

Jennie sighed, her last hope of her mother defending her gone. She shuffled past her father, head hung, towards the stairs.

"Where do you think you're going?" her father growled.

"To bed."

"Oh, no you don't," Jiyoung said, grabbing Jennie by the arm and pulling her into the living room, closing the door behind them. They heard a sigh, and footsteps as Yerim walked elsewhere.

Jiyoung turned on her. "What did you do, Jennie? Why did Lisa want to leave so badly?"

"I just messed up, alright?"

Her father frowned. "She was on the verge of tears when I took her to the airport, I think you did more than mess up."

The guilt pierced Jennie's gut like a knife. "Thanks for the sympathy," she muttered.

It was the wrong thing to say. Jiyoung's expression – which had already been stormy – became thunderous.

"You think this a joke?" Jiyoung bellowed, and Jennie shrunk back. "You think it's funny that we had to bail you out of jail? Do you have any idea how this looks for us?"

The anger Jennie had been swallowing bubbled to the surface, loud, unwelcome and burning in her chest. "Because everything is about how it looks for you, isn't it?" she spat.

"Excuse me?"

"Extravagant reunions, over-the-top weddings. Everything just to say look-at-us, look at how perfect we are," Jennie said, her tongue like fire against her teeth.

"You can't speak to me like this, Jennie, just because your girlfriend—"

"—Lisa isn't my girlfriend."

Jiyoung arched an eyebrow. "Well, that much is clear."

"No, I mean Lisa was never my girlfriend," Jennie snapped. "We were faking it."

"You were what?"

"Didn't you wonder why I never mentioned her before the reunion?" she said.

Jiyoung mouth dropped open, her eyes wide. "Why would you-"