I Would Have Said Yes

Waking up next to Jennie was becoming harder and harder.

Or at least, it would be if she ever actually woke up next to her. Nine times out of ten, Lisa would pretend to be asleep while she listened to Jennie slink slowly out of bed each morning. She'd hear the creak on the floorboard as she walked against the floor, and there would always be a moment where she stopped, and everything would go silent, while she looked over at her to check that she hadn't woken up. Then she'd hear ber wander over towards her suitcase to pull out something to wear. Most of the time when she'd open her eyes and pretend to wake up, she'd be doodling at her desk, or just sitting at her chair.

The worst thing about it was that she had really begun to enjoy her close company; sometimes she would wake in the middle of the night to find that Jennie's arms had slipped around her waist and she'd pulled her close, their limbs tangled together. On those occasions, she'd almost do her best to try and keep herself awake, it was so nice to just lie there together. Jennie radiated warmth, and it was all that she could do to stop herself from snuggling closer. But no matter how hard she tried to keep herself awake and enjoy the moment, she always succumbed to sleep, her eyes drooping shut, only to open again in the morning and find that, once again, Jennie had vacated the bed.

"How long have you been awake?" she'd ask, as if she hadn't been listening to her movements.

"Oh, not very long," Jennue always responded, even if she'd been out of bed for an hour or more. "I was getting restless."

Lisa would bite her lip, remembering all the times in university when she'd had to forcefully drag her out of bed, listening to her whine, "five more minutes," over and over again.

It carried on morning after morning, until one morning she hadn't heard a peep from her, opened her eyes, and found that she wasn't there at all. She sat up, wiped sleep out of her bleary eyes and dimly registered the alarm clock displaying 6:00am, and looking over the empty side of the bed. Lisa wrapped the blanket around herself, and stumbled down the stairs, finding Jennie sitting out on the porch, letting Kuma nibble at her fingers.

"Nini?" she said, "what are you doing up so early?"

She fed her some mumbled excuse, and Lisa headed back upstairs.

She was fully prepared to get another hour or two of sleep, but when she tucked herself back into the bed, she couldn't shut her mind off. She kept thinking about Jennie, about the way she kept disappearing every morning, and the way she kept getting out of bed as soon as she woke up, almost as if-

-Almost as if she couldn't stand being in bed with her.

Jennie thought that she didn't know what she was up to.

For their first few days, it had been like a holiday: she and Jennie had visited the beach, the pool, all the sites the little island had to offer, and for a while, it had been amazing. Jennie was loosening up in a way she hadn't done for so long, and it was so lovely to see. She was smiling so much more, smiling at her, and it was wonderful in so many ways to see her best friend happy.

Wedding preparations had thrown a spanner in the works.

It was like someone had flicked a switch in Jennie's brain, and suddenly all she wanted to do was run around on errand after errand, promising Yerim they'd do anything she asked of them, even if she and Lisa had already made plans to do something together. Their once relaxing holiday now had them on their feet every single day, while Jennie whisked Lisa around on job after job.

And that was fine, it really was fine, because this was her parents' wedding, and of course she'd want it to go well. She had no assumptions that she wasn't going to pull her weight, and Lisa was happy to do so. She'd basically just been invited on a free holiday - there was no way in hell that she wasn't going to help out.