15 - Mistress of the Fortress

for @vohraanju, thank u love

Camilla

Rising up from bed the next day was not easy. My body hurts, especially the junction between my thighs. Moving was difficult but I had to. I am a maid in this palace. I need to do my job without complaints.

I was on the way to the king's chamber when I saw the visitors. They were headed my way, so I moved to the side and bowed down as respect to the lady and her companions.

They stopped walking. The lady faced me, staring at my face like a specimen in a microscope. She's really a beauty, very young. I remembered the king praising her and maybe liking her. Good for them.

"That's you, aren't you? The one who disrespected us last night at dinner with the king. You brought such bad fortune to our first night here in the palace. You hideous woman!" She exclaimed, her tone full of anger and disgust.

"L-Lady Arabella, I apologize for my actions last night. I-I, let me make up for my m-mistakes. M-maybe I can do something for y-you, like errands a-and.."

"That won't be necessary, milady," a familiar voice interrupted my speech. It's Dominik. He's in his uniform. As usual his kindness is vibrating off his aura.

"Lady Arabella, good morning to you. I am Dominik and the king has ordered me to accompany you and your delegates to wherever you wish to go." Dominik told them. It seemed to pacify the young lady and temporarily forget her irritation towards me.

"Oh, good. The king's really nice to me. I know he'll be a good husband. I can't wait to be her queen." She mused dreamily. Her companions were beaming now too.

I excused myself quietly but not before a hand halted my steps.

"Lady Arabella, I will be waiting outside after you have eaten breakfast. Please dress however you like. The king will be joining us after his activities." To this the lady walked away happily with her team and she didn't even spare me a glance to which I'm very grateful for. I don't need additional stress in my life right now.

"S-si- I mean D-Dominik, you have saved me again. I don't know how to properly show my appreciation for all that you've done for me. If there's a-anything I can do to at least thank you, please tell me." I guess it's time for me to have a friend other than Miss A. And to think Dominik's her son is an added feeling of safety I feel with the both of them.

"It's nothing, Camilla. A gentleman is always ready to lend a helping hand to anyone in need. You are a very special lady. It's a pleasure just seeing you and talking to you." He smiled brightly, showing me his even white teeth and the dimples in his cheeks. I don't know why but I don't feel embarrassed with his words.

"I-I really feel that you are my b-brother. Miss A is lucky to have a son like you. I-I feel lucky too to know Miss A and now, y-you. Thank you." I already consider them as my family.

"A brother? Well, I will work on something more than that. I'll leave you to your tasks. See you around, milady." He kissed my hand and turned around to leave. Work on what? I didn't think too much of it.

Arriving at the threshold of the king's chamber, I knocked thrice. I got no response. Relief washed over me like a cold bucket of water in a hot summer day.