Kara danvers x fem reader

Dance
______________________________
The thing about being a DJ was that the kind of music that you liked to create was severely underrated. Most people thought of it as beeps and bloops, random, nonsensical noises that shouldn't even be classified as music. So far, your favorite description of it was 'the sounds of transformers having sex.' That one still made you giggle. It was a pretty creative description indeed.
What started as making sounds on your computer and soundboards, turned into regularly performing concerts with your own unique setup. One thing that you liked about your concerts was that it contained two things. Your music, which was intuitive, and interactive lights that flashed to the beat of the song. Eventually, you pushed it further, striving to break the mold, and make it even more fun. You created your own electronic drum set that played a different noise every time you hit the pads with drumsticks. It was nothing too complicated, just a setup of of several pads, all chest height when you stood, and all surrounding you in the shape of a crescent moon. Every time you hit the pad, a sound would play, and different colored lights would flash. That was how you programmed it all, and because you loved the lights, you got drumsticks that lit up too. You loved what you did, and you loved that other people loved it too.
Another thing you liked to do was wear a helmet. You wanted people to like your music, not you necessarily. Their focus should be what they listened to and not the person who was behind it. Sure, artists should always get credit for their work, that wasn't the statement that you were trying to make. It was that you didn't need to be seen in order for your music to be heard. No one truly knew what you looked like, and they still showed up to your concerts. There were a couple other artists who did the same thing you did, like Marshmello and Daft Punk.
Your mask, which functioned more as a helmet, fully encompassed your head. It honestly was a matte black motorcycle helmet that was splattered with different paint. You chose neon colors that glowed vibrantly in the black light that illuminated the stage, and then to add some more personality, you lined the contours and edges of the helmet with flashing, adhesive LED lights. Sometimes from the crowd, you looked like a dancing head with drumsticks that flew across the drum set. There would be lasers that danced in the sky, and the crowd was known to bring glow sticks. In short, it would turn into a rave.
You were preparing for a concert now, checking your equipment and sound systems, and as the crowd began to file in, you disappeared back into your assigned stage room to grab your helmet. You were in National City, your hometown, which you haven't been in for a while now. It felt natural to be back home because you missed it. It was towards the end of your tour around America, and it felt good to end it here, where all your friends and family were. You grabbed your helmet and broke out the paint supplies that you had to touch it up really quick. You added more splatters and made sure that the tinted visor was clean so that you would be able to see out of it.
You were just putting the finishing touches on it when a knock came on the door. The stage manager popped his head inside and looked at you.
"Five minutes," he said before leaving and closing the door behind himself.
Five minutes. That was just enough time to put the helmet on and position yourself on the stage. When you left, you took several deep breaths, your nerves rattling around inside of you, and anxious energy fueling your every step. It didn't matter how long you did this, or how many concerts you performed. You always got nervous. You flexed your fingers repeatedly as you took your position behind your drum set, and to ease the jitters, you grabbed your drumsticks and twirled them between your fingers.
It was a cool night. The wind gently blew around you, offering some reprieve on your warm and sweaty skin. You looked up to see the waning moon, usually bright and luminous, but not so much so because of the tint on your visor. You took a deep breath as a voice came over the loud speakers.
"Ladies and gentlemen, you've asked for them and they delivered! Here to play the last of their tour in their hometown of National City, I introduce, Lazer Beatz!"
The crowd went wild as the lasers and colorful lights switched on to dance hypnotically in the night air. You raised your drumsticks over your head, watching as they lit up colorfully in your grip. The crowd screamed as they began to chant your name.
"Lazer Beatz! Lazer Beatz! Lazer Beatz!"
You smiled, bringing the sticks down hard on the pads, watching as the lights and sounds caused everyone to go haywire. You hyped the crowd, only producing a few sounds at a time, watching as the resulting kaleidoscope of colors washed the cheering bodies in front of you. You did that for a few minutes more, using the moment to loosen your shoulders and neck before you actually started playing.
You started with a simple beat and then began to add more sounds until you were twisting and turning, hitting all the drum pads in an impressive display of rhythm and fluidity. As a result, the crowd was washed in a variety of blues, greens, pinks, and other colors. Slowly, the nervousness inside of you dissipated, and it was replaced with excited energy as the song really got going. The crowd jumped to the beat of it, pumping their arms up and down as they waved their glow sticks.
You laughed as you looked at them all. Your drumsticks were still a flurry of movement before you, and you looked out into the crowd again. Your eyes took in the faces of the front row before halting, your breath coming out in a gasp when you saw someone that you didn't expect to see ever again. Kara Danvers. There she was, in the front row surrounded by others that looked to be her friends. You watched with your mouth open, as she danced to your music, her blonde hair bouncing around her as she jumped with the crowd, and even with the multitude of colorful lights that flashed around everyone, you could still see her beautiful clear, blue eyes, as bright and deep as sapphires, staring straight at you with excitement. You hadn't seen her since you both graduated high school together. She stayed in National City to go to college, whereas you left. National City was great, but you didn't want to stay there forever. You wanted to get out and see the world. You ended up going to an international university to get a degree in music theory and composition, and well, the rest was history.
Seeing her now, brought back all the fond memories that you had of her and your friendship with her.
***
You were 17 when one day, Kara decided to drag you out of your house and forced you to stargaze with her. It was something she did often, which surprised you because you wondered if she ever got tired of looking at the same old stars night after night. She would respond with no of course, because to her, it was like staring at tiny, little miracles. How could someone be tired of that?
Kara was the true miracle, though if you complimented her in any way, she would deny it. She was a beautiful person, inside and out. She treated everyone with kindness and her smile could light up any room she was in. She was naturally funny, and riveting. You swore that sometimes, she was too good to be true. It was no wonder that you developed a crush as you spent more time with her. You couldn't help but look at her fondly as she gazed at the night sky with wonder.
"I hope you know that I'll always want to be in your life," she murmured softly, and you felt your heart almost leap out of your chest through you mouth.
You felt the same way, no matter how she chose to be with you. Either as a best friend, or even something else if she should ever want it, you were happy to just be with her, to bask in everything that was Kara Danvers.
***
You still remembered that moment, clear as the night sky above you, and you blinked. There she was, and you still couldn't believe it. This was happening, and she was gorgeous, the time aging her beautifully, spectacularly. You had to see her up close, and you stepped on a pedal below your drum set to loop the music so that you could run to the edge of the stage. As you did so, the crowd screamed, cheering wildly. Kara seemed to realize that you were approaching her and she stopped jumping, her eyes growing wide in shock especially when you held out your hand. She knew it was an offer to get on stage with you, and her friends cheered her on excitedly. You wanted them all up there with her, so one by one, you pulled them all up, her and her friends, until they all joined you on stage.
You laughed at their silliness. They were enjoying themselves as they laughed and shook their glow sticks. As you were about to run back to your place and grab your drumsticks, a soft grip on your shoulder stopped you, and you turned to face your childhood friend. Kara. She was breathing heavily, her hair sweaty but her eyes bright and her perfect smile even brighter. She was just as you remembered her. Flawless.
"Thank you so much for this!" she yelled over the music. "I've been a huge fan of yours for years now!"
It was now or never, and she watched, her breath hitching, as you began to take off your helmet. Shock morphed into recognition when your face was finally revealed to the world.
"I've been a huge fan of yours too," you replied back to her.
"Y/n?"
You couldn't stop the laugh that bubbled from your chest at her reaction. Her eyes were comically wide, and her mouth hung open. Kara was at a complete lost for words, confused sounds tumbling from her lips as she tried to make sense of what was happening. You winked at her, put the helmet back on, and went back to your drum set. Picking up the sticks, you kept playing the moment you ended the loop. Kara joined you at your side to watch you play, and she shook her head slowly, still trying to gather that her best friend from high school was Lazer Beatz, the DJ whose music she loved so very much.
"Can we hang out soon?" she asked you and you nodded.
You already planned to spend more time with her after the concert.
***
You, Kara, and her friends were back in your stage room, eating snacks and drinking water after the concert ended.
"So how do you know Lazer Beatz?" Winn asked. He was dressed in yellow and pink neon clothing and had a multitude of glow sticks adorning his body. He, too, was covered in sweat but he was still excited. He bounced up and down with energy and you smiled politely at him.
"We went to high school together," Kara answered. "Oh! Where are my manners? Y/n, this is Winn, Lena, Nia, and of course you remember Alex."
You waved at Kara's older sister, who waved back, before continuing with the introductions.
"Then there's Brainy, J'onn, and Kelly. Everyone this is Y/n."
"Hi, Y/n!" they all said in unison and you laughed, waving back.
"Did you guys all like the concert?"
"Pshhh, yeah!" Nia said, her face in playful disbelief that you would even ask that.
You smiled, satisfied that they all enjoyed themselves. Kara took your hand and pulled you further away from her friends to speak with you privately.
"If you're not doing anything after this, maybe we can go get a coffee or something? Just to catch up?"
You blushed, your eyes ducking shyly as you chuckled. It was like someone had read your diary and granted all your wishes at the same time, and you nibbled your lip as you looked at her. She really wanted this, or else she wouldn't have asked, you knew that. So, you smiled and nodded.
"Yeah?" she asked as her hopes grew.
"Yeah," you said, your smile growing.
Kara laughed, happy that you said yes, and when she turned around to face her friends, they all whirled around to face the opposite direction, all of them pretending like they weren't just eavesdropping. It was like someone screamed 'act normal!' and they were all doing ridiculous things that made the situation anything but. Alex and Kelly pretended to be deep in a conversation. Brainy grabbed a glow stick from Winn and started to talk about all the chemical properties that made them glow. Nia's eyes were glazed over in boredom, but she made a show of listening to the explanation. J'onn and Winn started talking about video games while Lena pretended to take a phone call. The whole situation was hilarious, and you couldn't stop yourself from wheezing with laughter. Kara smirked, love and adoration rolling off from her in waves at her friends, but her expression was one of annoyance.
"I know you guys were listening!"