Chapter Twenty

Amardad's POV:

Amardad's POV:

It had been three days since Caius had left and other than the occasional trip inside for meals or to sleep at night, I spent my time in the gardens keeping to my promise of cleaning everything up.

It was coming along nicely and now that I had cleared everything away, I had started repainting the benches and while those were drying I started planting flowers and sweet-smelling herbs in the garden that Demetri had picked up for me in town.

He had been confused, though, when I had asked him to bring back some urns as well. I mean plant urns, like pots, Demetri being the person he is, brought me urns for dead burnt humans. I don't think even three seconds passed before I sent him out again to return the urns and get me some pots.

I sighed, sitting on the bed again and reaching under the mattress for some Advil. The doctor had been right about the easy bruising, and today alone I had a new bruise on my knee that I skillfully covered with concealer and a long, ankle-length dress.

I knew that it wasn't really right to hide this from everyone, especially Demetri, who had been nothing but kind to me from the beginning.

I had also done some serious thinking about what Caius had offered me. He had pretty much told me that I could become an immortal vampire Queen, but I would have to drink blood... from people...

Nevertheless, his proposal interested me, more than I think it should have. Caius was also something that I had been thinking about a lot. Every day, every moment, my heart physically ached for him to come back.

I think that this separation has really given me time to take a step back and look at our relationship. I know it's not the best, far from that really, but we just fit together. Like two peas in a pod or some equivalent cliche thing.

There was a brief knock on the door and I got up quickly to answer it, but it opened and a guard stepped inside. This was another change that had happened since Caius had left, there was now always a guard at my door while I was in his, our, rooms or they followed me around if Demetri wasn't around.

Jane, Felix, Heidi and a lot of minor guards had left with Caius and Aro so the castle was running short on staff so there was less free time for everyone, which meant that Demetri spent less time with me.

"Mistress Amardad," The guard, Aurora, started, this was another change that half horrified me. "Demetri requests to enter." I swallowed the urge to roll my eyes. Even if Aurora was a younger vampire at 250 years, she was just as bad as the rest of them.

Too polite. Too uptight. I wonder where they stored their sticks?

"Sure, Rory." Aurora frowned at her nickname, "Just let Demetri come in whenever he wants, next time." Her eyes narrowed but she went back outside and a second later Demetri walked in.