Chapter 11: Fall... and Rise

It was completely silent in the sacred lands, the only sounds being of the calm wind that blew with the light snowfall. But near the frozen pond stood a small crowd of furs... standing near a pyre, with Bella's covered up corpse laying on top of it.

The small crowd consisted of those who were closest to Bella. Sammy, Skye, Shira, Luna, Tristan, Cooper, Francis and Ivan. Along with John, Ren, Mia and Camilla. Devastation was etched onto everyone's expressions.

Skye slowly stepped forward, her feathered cheeks stained with her tears. "E-Everyone... we gather here to say goodbye. To a great leader... a mother... a friend." She said with a sad, raised voice, hearing some sobbing behind her. "May the lady of death guide her through oblivion... and may the Phoenix meet her upon the stars." She said through her own silent sobs, using her own faith that the Avians followed along with Bella's. "... goodbye, Bella... I will miss you." She finished, her gaze lowering to the ground as she cried.

The fox child, devastated from his adopted mother's passing, stepped forward next to Skye, looking up at her as he sobbed. "Can... can I?" He asked sadly.

Skye glanced down at the fox child, her tears still falling to the ground beneath her. But she nodded her head slowly, handing over a small wooden torch to him.

Sammy slowly took the torch and stepped closer to the pyre, still sobbing quietly as he lit it on a small fire that was nearby. He was eventually stood right in front of the pyre, slowly placing his hand on it while holding the flaming torch in the other.

"I... I'm sorry mom." Sammy cried, looking at Bella's covered up body. "I was never able to show you how grateful I was for you taking me in... and I never will be able to now... I-I love you mom." The fox child cried, pressing his forehead against the wooden pyre.

John couldn't bare to watch as Sammy cried in front of his dead mother... tears welling up in his own eyes as he thought about what he could've done to save Bella... but failed to. He felt someone take his hand and glanced to his left, seeing Ren who was also in a heartbroken state.

Eventually, Sammy stood back up, still sobbing as he looked at the flaming torch in his hand. "... I-I love you." He repeated before slowly moving the torch forward, until it made contact with the combustible pyre.

The fox child dropped the torch down onto the snow below and stepped back as the pyre caught flame, everyone watching as it grew into a large blaze in a matter of seconds.

The Ancestral tree glew a very bright white behind them as Bella's ashes began blowing across the sacred lands, completing the traditional fur funeral.

While everyone still cried, John slowly stepped forward until he was next to Sammy, looking down at the fox child sympathetically.

"Who... who did this?" Sammy asked quietly, keeping his eyes to the burning pyre as his tears flowed.

John let out a quiet sigh, and shook his head. "I don't know... I didn't see the shooter." He replied softly.

"... I'll kill the one responsible." Sammy stated with simplicity, promising himself vengeance.

John didn't respond. Instead, he slowly moved his arm to gently place his hand on Sammy's shoulder caringly.

"Don't... don't touch me." Sammy suddenly demanded... unclear if his emotions were simply acting up from the death of his adopted mother... or if he hated John now.

John was surprised, but quickly moved his hand off of Sammy with a sigh. "I'm sorry kid... I... I truly am." He said with nothing but sympathy in his voice.

Sammy was silent... and simply stared at the pyre as it burned.

- three months later