Chapter 12: In and Out

"Oh, wow... you're kidding right? This is where we're staying now?!" Mia exclaimed excitedly after John brought them to Skye's room.

"Yup, Skye demands it." John chuckled, closing the door behind them once everyone was inside, Aura immediately trotting around the place and sniffing about.

"It's cool I guess." Sammy said quietly, tucking his hands into his pockets as he looked around.

Ren immediately ran towards the balcony as soon as she saw it, her eyes widening after she grabbed onto the railing. "Such a beautiful view." She mumbled with awe.

"I see you like your new living quarters then?" Skye asked, giggling as she came out from her bedroom, wearing nothing but a white robe.

"I think it's safe to say that they do." John replied with amusement as he glanced over at Skye... noticing the teasingly visible cleavage with her robe.

Skye was suddenly surprised with a tight hug from Mia, her arms locked around her waist. "Thank you for this, birdie." She said very gratefully.

Skye cleared her throat, and patted Mia's back gently and awkwardly. "Yes, you're welcome... but I do not like hugs." She muttered.

"Oh, hehe... sorry." Mia giggled as she backed away from the hug.

Skye rolled her eyes, clearly more amused than agitated. "Now, allow me to show you-" she was cut off when... something caught her eye by the balcony.

Suddenly, Bruce and Cleo flew up to the balcony, but... they were carrying a very weak, and injured Cooper.

"Skye, we found him half dead near the gates." Said Bruce as he landed on the balcony with a thud due to his weight, gently setting Cooper down with Cleo's help.

There were a few shocked gasps from Ren and Mia in the background after they saw the severity of his injuries.

John's heart was immediately racing when he saw Cooper's condition, rushing over to him to have a closer look. "Cooper, talk to us." He pleaded, seeing that there was a large bandage on the side of his head.

"Who did this to you?" Skye asked, looking over John's shoulder.

Cooper coughed a few times, weakly raising his head to look at John. "Ambushed.. b-by humans... they got Francis." He muttered weakly through his coughs.

John and Skye glanced at each other with worry, after hearing that one of their people were now held captive.

"Take him to the medics at once." Skye quickly demanded, watching as Bruce and Cleo immediately obeyed and flew Cooper back down to the ground towards the medics tents.

Worried, John began pacing the room, his hand firmly on his head. "... I haven't even been a leader for a full day.. and this happens." He muttered, quite obviously blaming himself.

Ren swiftly brought him into a comforting hug, stopping him from pacing around. "John this isn't your fault, don't even think about blaming yourself." She said with a demanding manner.

John was silent for a moment as he coped with the guilt and what he saw as a complete failure of leadership, but after a moment, he took a deep breath and composed himself, giving Ren a grateful nod.

"... We have to get him back. I'm not leaving someone I was supposed to lead to die." He stated, fully prepared to fight whatever he had to in order to get Francis back.

Skye slowly nodded her head, placing one hand on her hip. "Yes, it is quite important that we get him out. For if they pry answers out of him... the secret of the Aviary will be lost, and we will all be at risk." She explained calmly.