Chapter 15: Reborn

Shira was stood atop one of the lookout posts of the Aviary keeping watch, boredly sharpening one of her arrow heads with John's kabar. By now, the sun had slowly began its rise, and the Aviary was partially cleared of the chaos that ensued that night.

As the morning got colder and light snow sweeped the area, she wrapped a blanket around herself for warmth. She wondered what was taking John so long at the sacred lands, by now he'd been gone for almost an hour.

But with that thought came the sudden, distressed howl from Aura who was stood on Skye's bedroom balcony. Her howl was more like a cry as she looked up to the sky, making her point known that... something wasn't right.

The lizard slowly looked up at the balcony, concerned by the wolf's unusual howl. Aura's sad howl of distress went on for longer than expected... only fuelling Shira's concerns further.

But then, she saw Skye hop off of the balcony, spreading her wings to fly gracefully down to the ground. The avian landed perfectly on Shira's lookout post, her feet firm on the wooden board and stood in an upright, proud posture. She was freshly showered and sported a new bandage on her stomach.

"Where you off to?" Asked Shira, still covered with blood that she hasn't cleaned yet.

"It's been an hour and John hasn't returned. I am going to find him." Skye replied, her wings folding back while she brushed some feathers away from her eyes.

Shira nodded her head, tapping a claw on one of the wooden boards. "May I tag along?"

Skye shook her head. "It will be quicker if I go alone." Her blue and white feathers slowly ruffled with the calm, cold breeze.

"I see." Shira mumbled, dissatisfied. "Well... do hurry, I grow concerned. His wolf has never howled like that before." She said, glancing back up at the balcony where Aura was still howling.

"Yes, that is an odd howl for her." Skye agreed, her wings slowly spreading. "I will take my leave, but Shira... take a shower, dear. You stink of corpses." She said before taking off into the sky without a hitch.

Shira couldn't help but snicker from Skye's comment, watching as the Avian flew off gracefully.

-

Skye arrived to the sacred lands within minutes of her leaving the Aviary, flying through the magical barrier that hid it from the world. The Avian landed perfectly on the cold snow, looking all around to see if she could spot John and Sammy.

"John?" She called out, her voice echoing throughout the lands of the sacred.

There was only deafening silence, no response from either John or Sammy like she was expecting. But with the cold winds, came the whispers of the souls who lingered... but this time, they were trying to tell her something. She listened carefully to the whispers when she noticed they were trying to speak to her.

"The tree." The whispers seemed to be saying, confusing Skye greatly.

But she took what they were telling her and turned her head towards the massive, white tree in the distance, standing tall on top of its hill. She walked towards it, her feet crunching beneath the shallow snow.

She began the walk up the steep hill, her heart beginning to beat faster due to her nervousness, unknowing why the whispers were leading her here.

She reached the top, and was immediately greeted by the sight of deep red, blood covered snow, paralyzing her with fear.

"J-John... where are you?" She called out pleadingly.. she wanted to hear something, anything from the man.

But that's when she saw something partially buried with snow, where the blood seemed to originate from. It felt like her heart stopped beating as she slowly approached it... recognizing what seemed to be a familiar black jacket.