Cats

" Is that Mr. Kim?" asked Mr. Billimoria.

"Yes, sir."

"Good morning, Mr. Billimoria. How are you today?"

"I am very well, Mr. Kim. And how are you?"

"I am well."

"And Ms. Choi?"

"Y/N is fine." said Taehyung.

"Is that her name? How beautiful!" said Mr. Billimoria.

"Quite hot today," said Taehyung.

"It's the humidity," said Mr. Billimoria, and then he giggled.

Taehyung giggled too. The other two accountants looked up sharply. Mr. Yoongi, who was three months away from retirement, looked shocked. No one had even giggled at the Park Group's Accounts Department in the last forty years that he had worked there.

The other man in the room, Mr. Hoseok, looked shocked because Mr. Yoongi looked shocked. 

Taehyung ignored both of them. His giggles petered away into a set of little gasps.

"There is good news," he said. "There is good news."

He heard Mr. Billimoria gasp as if he had won lottery. In the middle of the happiness he felt at being able to give his 'phone-friend' the news, Taehyung all felt a pang. This was Mr. Billimoria's money. He was selling his beautiful old mansion with its lovely Chinese-tiled floors and its pigeons cooing fatly and its Night Jasmine tree and its old well and its dry fountain with a cherub. He was probably going to live in a small flat. Yet, he had been made to wait so long that he had begun to treat his rightful dues as if he had won a lottery.

"The cheque?" Mr. Billimoria asked.

"It is signed and ready."

"Jolly Good," said Mr. Billimoria.

"So this morning," Taehyung told Y/N as he cut his fried egg that had the yolk oozing out, "Mr. Billimoria came. He had vacated. All the stuff gone. House empty. Jimin gave him the cheque."

Taehyung's hand froze as he remembered.

"That's a considerable sum of money, Mr. Billimoria," said Jimin. "What are you going to do with it?"

"Well, I thought I would build a small village hospital in memory of my mother in Busan," said Mr. Billimoria.

"She has passed on?" Taehyung asked. 

Mr. Billimoria looked a bit apologetic.

"Well, yes, she died a couple of years ago," he said.

Choi Y/N was not impressed. She gave her husband a friendly thump on his back, causing him to eject a little blob of the kimchi fried rice back into the plate.

"That only? See, we are calling lots of people mother. I am calling your mother Eomma or no? He must be calling some other elderly woman in his family like that only."

(Okay, If you are confused, Billimoria picks up the phone and thanks someone he calls mom.)

The cheque was handed over. Now it was Mr. Billimoria's turn to hand over the keys.

"Mr. Park," said Mr. Billimoria, "do you mind if I go back one last time today? I have to pick up my cat."

There was silence.

"Cats," said Mr. Billimoria, "are very easily spooked. When I emptied the house, it must have seemed like a jungle had been cut down. Like the whole world had changed. So she disappeared into the house somewhere."