Afterlife

Jimin was silent. It was a ploy he used. Taehyung had noticed that it was a very effective ploy. A rich man's silence can be a frightening thing. He had learnt, after many years of watching his hyung, best friend, and employer, to be silent as well. Otherwise, he found that he would say what he thought Jimin wanted to say. Taehyung had given up his weekly off once to end a silence; and he had offered to work overtime on Y/N's birthday. That day was the scariest day in his life. He had to face the one and only Choi Y/N's wrath. Now he had learnt to be silent too. And to pray.

Mr. Billimoria seemed to be accustomed to silence. He sat still and waited. Jimin began to tap his fingers. Everyone in the Park Group agreed that this was a bad sign, but Mr. Billimoria did not know this. He continued to remain silent as the dull glint of Jimin's fingernails flashed. Finally Jimin spoke.

"Well," he said. "Well."

Then he fell silent again.

Taehyung began to wonder whether they were going to sit there all day. He coughed gently. Both men looked at him.

"I could go with Mr. Billimoria," he said.

Jimin relaxed visibly.

"Yes, yes," he said. "That will be the best."

Mr. Billimoria cocked his head. He looked at Taehyung and it seemed as if he wanted to apologize. Then he sighed again.

"Not the best, but I suppose it will have to do," he said. 

Jimin's eyes glinted.

"Keep an eye," he said to Taehyung, as he left in a puff of expensive cologne and hair gel which pulled his hair to put the forehead in display.

On the way, in his old Hyundai, Mr. Billimoria asked suddenly: "What do you think happens to us after we die, Mr. Kim?"

Taehyung had been about to say something about the dust, so he was taken completely unawares.

"In our Bible, it is said..." he began.

"Yes, yes and in our Zend Avesta it is said. And in the Koran, something else is said. The Vedas say something else. Also the tribals say this happens, that happen. Young man! But what do you believe?" asked Mr. Billimoria.

Taehyung looked out of the window. He thought of his Christian Public School. He thought how easy it had been when everyone believed the same thing. Then he had left high school, and in university he had met people who believed other things. At first, he had thought, 'They must be wrong.' Later, he thought, 'They may be right.' Next he thought, 'We are all wrong.' Finally, 'Maybe, we are all right.' Then he had got a job and a girlfriend and a bungalow and a car, and he had stopped thinking about these things.

"Forget it," Mr. Billimoria said gruffly. "In this day and age, such questions are best left unanswered. No, it is better that they are not asked at all. I withdraw the question."

"What do you believe, Mr. Billimoria?" Taehyung asked.

"I think you find yourself in something like a huge hotel banquet room. And under every gleaming dome is a choice, lying on a very porcelain dish. One says, 'I want another life so I can do better.' Another says, 'Judge me now: Heaven or Hell.' A third says, 'I haven't had enough of the world.'"

"By golly," said Taehyung. "Much confusion for the Divine Being."