Fifteen: In Which One Stays

After their return to the present, Scorpius was excused from Hogwarts until further notice, and Albus knew this was for the best. After having to witness the death of Lily and James Potter, Albus had thought that his father would have been more devastated, but Scorpius seemed to be more affected.

He sat against his father, Draco, curled into a ball, sobbing softly as Draco tried to comfort him. Even when the Time-Turner sucked them back into the present, Scorpius still cried endlessly, refusing to let go of Draco, as if he was the only thing keeping him from being condemned in the past.

Once speaking to McGonagall, Draco took Scorpius back to Malfoy Manor, holding onto his shoulders as he led him past Albus, who reached a hand out to stop Scorpius, wanting to say Don't go, you can't make me be alone here. But Scorpius was out of reach, his soft sobs echoing through the corridor, ringing in Albus' head.

"Albus?" said Ginny softly, placing a hand over his. "Are you alright?"

"Yeah," he replied, swallowing. He already missed Scorpius. He wanted to hug him, ask him how he was feeling, make him feel better. But he couldn't.

He didn't leave Hogwarts like Scorpius, even if McGonagall highly encouraged it. Instead, Albus stayed in his dormitory, which felt oddly spacious without Scorpius, though they now had to share with two other Slytherin boys, Finley Scamander, and Laurence Creevey. Both boys were actually quite nice to Albus, shaking his hand and making sure he was comfortable in the dormitory. He hadn't paid much attention to them before, but he learned why now.

They were nobodies, outcasts. They had never previously messed with Scorpius and Albus, but he had never heard their names used in any good sense.

"Don't mind the hedgehog," Finley Scamander said, lifting the animal from Albus' bed. A moving lump beneath the blanket was also revealed to be a jackalope. "Or him. Honestly, these animals have got too much personality!" Scamander was a handsome bloke, with shining brown hair and matching eyes. His teeth were very white and straight, and he had plenty of books over magical creatures as well as nonmagical animals.

When he let Albus hold his hedgehog, he said, "His name is Henry. And the jackalope is named Edith. Do you like Care of Magical Creatures? I usually see you and Scorpius Malfoy whispering in class."

"Oh, er, yes."

"I can lend you some of my books, if you want?" Scamander grinned, pointing at his collection.

"Um, sure," murmured the new roommate, feeling himself go red from embarrassment. "I don't do much reading, though. Usually."

Finley Scamander laughed. It was an odd laugh, nasally and high. "Oh, that's alright." He spent the next hour and a half rambling excitedly to Albus about the various creatures they have and haven't studied in class.

Laurence Creevey, however, was very quiet, though he did acknowledge Albus politely, giving him a closed-lip smile. He was shorter than Albus was by at least half a foot. Albus didn't think he was a fourth year. His hair was golden, his eyes a bright blue behind thick glasses. His eyes were sort of watery and he blinked hard.

He didn't speak much, but when he noticed Albus struggling with his schoolwork, he pulled up his desk chair and helped him. He had quite a nice voice, Albus noticed.

"When will Scorpius be back?" he asked Albus once, glancing at the letter the dark-haired boy was writing to his best friend. In it, he made sure to reassure Scorpius that their new dormmates were nice and that he would enjoy them.

"I'm not sure." It was already nearing the summer break. "He might not be back until September."

"Wonderful!" Scamander, as he liked to be called, exclaimed, grinning. "We can meet the two of you on the train! Or on the platform. . ."