Twenty-Seven: In Which Two Practice

Scorpius was bouncing with excitement, waiting very impatiently for Albus to arrive Thursday afternoon. Draco, who was sitting in an armchair by a big roaring fire, chuckled at his antics, saying, "Son, I doubt he'll be here at 12 sharp. "

"Oh, me too, he's a terrible teller of time." Laughing, Scorpius sat opposite of him. He wanted to tell him that he and Albus wanted to give it a go, being more than friends. A couple? Boyfriends?

They had shared a quick kiss, Scorpius enjoyed it far more than the kiss he was forced to share with Polly Chapman in the Dark World. Scorpius counted it as nothing, but with Albus, he counted it as everything. Albus' lips were chapped from the cold, he never used chapstick. His hands were stuffed into his pockets in an attempt to appear calm.

But Scorpius knew from how his breath was trembling in the moment just before the kiss that he was nervous, Scorpius knew he had never kissed anyone before. His shoulders were tense, as if they were rubber bands being stretched onto his shoulder blades. His knees were locked, preventing them from accidentally buckling.

Albus put on an "I don't care about anything or anyone" facade, but Scorpius knew how he really was. Sure, he could be surly after an argument with Harry, but for the most part, he was determined, kind, and intelligent.

"Dad?" Scorpius said, looking at Draco, who also looked up. "You don't have a problem with me being gay, right?"

"Of course not," he replied. "Why?"

"I know you were a bully, but did you bully people like me?"

Draco set his book down, thinking. "Well, yes. I grew up in a very traditional setting, as you know. The '90s weren't exactly the best of times for those who were openly out."

"Did you beat anyone up?"

"No, I was far too scrawny for that." He smirked and Scorpius laughed. "Besides, the only time I was ever punched was by anyone was by the Weasley twins---er, Albus' Uncle George and Fred when he was alive---and in my seventh year when Ronald punched me in the face during the Battle of Hogwarts."

Scorpius frowned. "Why did Mr Weasley hit you?"

"You know, I don't quite remember the details, he might, though. You should ask him next time you see him."

Before Scorpius could say anything else, the fire suddenly turned green and grew bigger. With a dizzy spin and a few coughs, Albus Potter emerged, wiping himself off. In his hand was a bag. "I hate Floo Powder, I think I'm allergic."

"Albus!" Scorpius exclaimed, jumping up from his seat. "I thought you would be Apparating."

"Change of plans," he said, his devilish grin plastered on his face. On his neck, Scorpius could see several scratches that were healing over.

"What happened to your neck?"

Albus put his hand over the scratches. "A stray cat attacked me. Quite scary, really."

Scorpius knew he was lying, but grabbed his wrist, saying to Draco, "We'll be down for supper in a bit!" before dragging Albus up the stairs.

He had never been inside Malfoy Manor before, and he was shocked that it was so large and well kept; the wooden floors creaked ever so slightly under their shoes, the wood so dark and polished that it shined in the lights from the magical candles along the hall. The walls were a perfect white and had few photos. Then they turned down a corridor that had a long line of magically moving portraits. The latest one was of Draco and Scorpius and Astoria, all smiling at one another, Scorpius was only twelve or eleven in that.

In the next portrait, Albus hardly recognized Draco Malfoy. He was sullen, eyes and cheeks sunken, skin paler than Albus thought was humanly possible. He was wearing all black, hair slicked back. In the chair was a thin woman with black and blonde hair, wearing a pinched expression on her thin face. Beside her was a man, tall and powerful. He had a cane and long blonde hair.