Thirty: In Which One Admits

TW: MENTION OF SA

Grimmauld Place didn't quite feel like home to Albus. It felt like a prison, with his dad constantly leaning over his shoulder, with his mum asking him how he was doing, Lily sneering and asking if he had a girlfriend, James smirking behind a glass because he knew the truth. He was the only one.

Albus laid for as long as he could in that comfortable bed at Malfoy Manor, not caring that the sun was shining through the curtains. He couldn't even turn to look at the small clock that was hung on the wall. Couldn't even sit up.

There wasn't one way Albus could describe the feeling that was settling in him. It came at odd times, it didn't matter if he was having the time of his life with Scorpius. It didn't matter if he was around Harry Potter or not.

He felt empty and numb, but he smiled so much with Scorpius and felt lighter than air when their hands touched. He was happy with Scorpius, he wanted to hold him for as long as he could, he needed to. But. . .it hurt him too.

Scorpius would die eventually. Probably long before him. He wouldn't be able to hold him after that.

There was a knock at the door, quiet, as if it was a secret meeting place, that guest room. He didn't say anything and the door opened.

"Albus?"

"Yeah?"

He heard the door shut, and Scorpius climbed onto the bed and under the covers, hesitantly wrapping an arm around his middle, his breath warm on the back of his neck. "It's nearly three. How long have you been awake?"

He shrugged.

"Dad asked about you. Wondered if you left or something."

Albus didn't reply.

"I know you like to sleep in late whenever you can but—"

"Scorp," he interjected softly, his chest so tight that he thought his sternum might explode. "I—I just need a minute, okay?"

"Yeah, yeah of course," the blonde replied, snuggling in closer to Albus, legs tangling together. "No talking?"

"Yeah, I'm sorry."

Scorpius gave him a quick squeeze before settling next to Albus. Luckily, he wasn't like James, who never seemed to be still for more than a second. No, Scorpius liked the quiet, it didn't scare him. He was still, just his fingertips moving, touching and rubbing against Albus' old shirt he wore to bed.

Albus felt exhausted, as if he hadn't slept in days. He didn't want to move at all, not even for Scorpius.

After what felt like forever, he turned, eyes so close to Scorpius' he could see his pupils in the dark pools of his eyes. "Sorry."

"Nothing to be sorry for," he replied softly, a small smile on his lips. "You okay?"

Albus shrugged. "Just tired, I think." He chuckled, doing his best to mask that empty feeling inside of him. "This bed is very comfortable, y'know."

The blonde studied his face. How could he sound so sad yet look so happy? "I suppose so."

With a grin, Albus grabbed Scorpius' shoulder with one hand, the other grabbing the corner of the blanket. He rolled onto the blonde, hearing him let out a squeak as the blanket wrapped around him. "Albus!"

The dark haired boy held the side of his face, kissing roughly. Their lips crashing, teeth occasionally scraping against each others. Albus kept his eyes shut, feeling around for Scorpius' hands. One was on his arm, the other on his back, holding tightly to his shirt.