One : In Which Two Young Boys Meet

Standing on the busy platform, nine and three-quarters, Albus Remus Potter took a steadying breath, hoping to Merlin that neither his parents or his older brother heard the rattling in his chest. Nerves made his hands tingle as he looked around, seeing many, many people, most of which were whispering behind their hands as they looked towards his father, Harry Potter.

"I wanna go too!" his younger sister, Lily, cried, bursting into tears.

"It's just two more years," his mother soothed, caressing her daughter's hair. "Don't worry."

Albus gripped the handle of his trolley, emerald eyes glancing around until he found something to look at: a crack in the floor. The idea of so many people's eyes on him and his family made Albus' neck burn.

He felt a hand on his shoulder and he turned his head, seeing his father. They looked just alike, but Albus didn't need glasses. Albus didn't quite like how messy his hair always was. But he did like how his face was structured, all angles and sharp edges.

"You alright, Al?"

Albus nodded wordlessly. James, his older brother, bounded up to him. "He won't be alright after seeing those Thestrals," he laughed.

Albus made to grab him, saying, "I thought they were invisible! Dad said they were!" He made to grab James, but he skipped off before he could. "James!" he called, an edge of panic in his voice.

Harry laughed. "Don't listen to James. He's just a trickster."

Albus huffed. "He's annoying." He tapped the handle of his trolley, feeling quite silly as he asked, "Dad, what if the Hat puts me in Slytherin? I---I mean, it's possible, isn't it? Slytherin is the worst house, isn't it?"

Harry glanced at Ginny, making his voice low as he told Albus, "There are many great wizards and witches I know that were in Slytherin. Many helped me when I was younger."

"But James said---" Albus began, but Harry stopped him.

"James doesn't know what he's talking about," his dad interjected. "I was almost in Slytherin. But the Sorting Hat listens to what you have to say."

"It does?" Albus asked in disbelief. "Well, if you had told me that, I wouldn't be freaking out."

Harry chuckled, saying, "Just know that, whatever house you're in, it doesn't define you as a person. There are dimwitted Ravenclaws, kind Slytherins, dishonourable Hufflepuffs, and cowardly Gryffindors."

"Like James," piqued Albus, laughing softly. His father laughed. "Guess it wouldn't be so bad, considering James' lousy excuse as to why he couldn't get that lizard off of his doorframe."

"That thing was as big as my hand!" James exclaimed, seemingly coming out of nowhere. "I could see its teeth!"

Albus rolled his eyes. "Lizards aren't scary. Point made."

James shuddered. "But those Thestrals are."

"You said they're invisible!"

Lily laughed, asking, "Are they really, James?"

"They have huge teeth," the third-year replied, his hazel eyes wide behind his glasses. "And big, white eyes with no pupils."

Lily giggled and Ginny tutted. "James," she chastised, "don't frighten them."

"I'm not scared," Albus sneered, sticking his chin out at his older brother, who was groaning about how their mother never let him have any fun.

The train's whistle blew and Albus made to hurry away, but his mother pulled him into a hug, saying, "You be good, you hear? We'll write twice a week."