Chapter 4

Children were crying as they clung to their parents. While their parents in their turn held their children as close as they could. All stood outside in the rain in front of the elementary school, as sirens wailed and police officers ran around, heading the command of their chief.
Yet one girl stood away from her mother. Deaf to the calling of her name. Her hair soaken wet by now as she stared at the large figure in front of her with big eyes.
'Watch it kid,' came an annoyed grumble from the giant of a man. 'Haven't you had enough trouble for today?'
But the girl shook her head.
'You caught the bad man, didn't you? So I'm not scared.'
'Well then, just run off to your parents, girl. Go on, off you go.'
The flaming hero seemed a little uncomfortable as the child remained put. Not sure how to handle the situation, for most children scurried away at the sight of him. Adoring him from a save distance, not from up close.
'I like your flames,' the girl stated as she looked at his mask, before her green gaze lowered to the flames closer to her height. 'They're so pretty. Can I touch them?'
'Ha, didn't your mother teach you how dangerous fire is, girl,' the hero asked as he crossed his arms. 'Try and touch it and you'll get burned.'
But instead listening to his warning, she reached out her hand towards his flaming boots. He did say 'try and touch it, right? So that meant she was allowed to. Before Endeavor could even register what she was doing, her small hand had already brushed through the flames.
'What did I tell you!'
'Ichika!'
As Endeavor took a step backwards, a woman with green hair tied in a messy bun ran over to the pair. As soon as she was next to her daughter, she fell to her knees with a cry, holding her child close to her chest. Her face tearstained as she looked for any injuries.
'Look mom, look how pretty it is.'
Much to Endeavor's surprise, the girl was unharmed. Instead she looked at her mother as she proudly showed the woman her hands. Cupped between them was a small ember burning brightly, moving slightly as she held it up.
'Look how it dances!'
'It sure does, sweetheart,' Inko agreed as she gently petted Ichika on the head. Then she straightened up to look at the shocked hero nervously. 'I am so sorry. She's just so fascinated by fire. She tries to grab every flame that she can get her hands on.'
Inko bowed her head as she apologised. Then she turned her head to her daughter again. Her green eyes now stern as they locked eyes.
'Now you go and return Endeavor his flame, Ichika. You can never take something without asking first.'
But before Ichika could even reply, the demanding voice of Endeavor boomed. Having overcome his initial shock, he now held is usual glare while he looked down at the two. His piercing turquoise eyes staring at the child while she had watched the small flame in her hands. Moving it from one hand to another, enlarging the flame, before it shrunk back to a small flame.
'Let the girl have it, I couldn't care less. As long as she won't get in my way again.'
'Yes, of course, sir!  Thank you.' Then the green haired woman turned to her daughter. 'Thank Endeavor for his kind gift, sweetheart.
'Thank you, mister Endeavor,' Ichika murmured as she bowed politely, a wide grin plastered on her face. 'I will treasure it forever!'
Ten years have passed since that day and now Ichika finally stood before the man once again. This time not as a curious child with a fascination for fire, but as an anxious teenager - her fascination for fire still present. She sure had chanced since than. But Endeavor hadn't changed one bit since that day. The man still was a mountain compared to her and she was above average height! His eyes still a piercing turquoise colour as he looked at her from behind his desk.
'Ichika Midoriya, I presume?' 
At the sound of his deep voice, Ichika gulped before nodding. Barely managing a shaky 'yes' as she heard Burnin chuckle next to her.
'Well, I'll be downstairs if ya need me, sir. See ya later, kid.'
And with that, the woman left. Leaving a nervous Ichika alone with the number 2 hero. She still couldn't comprehend that she was actually an intern now at Endeavor Agency! She was actually going to work for this man!
'Well, are you just going to stand there? If you do, you would do well to look for another hero agency.'
'I'm sorry, sir!' She quickly bowed in apology once she met his glare. 'It's just… I'm just a bit overwhelmed. I mean, getting picked by you, that's like… the best thing ever!'
He didn't even seem surprised by her confession, nor did his glare falter. Instead he remained his stoic self as he stood up.
'You lack strength,' he told her as he walked over to her. 'And you also need to work on your skills. They aren't the worst, but they aren't good either. You have a powerfull skill and you know it. It is clear that you rely solely on that and that only. Even your flexibility is of no use if you don't use your full potential.'
By now Endeavor stood right in front of her, towering over her as he brutally analysed her fighting style. Or the lack of it actually. And the worst parts was that he was right! She knew most of her opponents couldn't stand the heat of her flames, which was why she never actually needed to do much. And with her lack of ambition, she never thought of strengthening herself. Up until now she had managed with just her quirk and her flexibility when the occasion called for it. And her quick wit every now and then.
But to hear her idol criticise her like that really made her feel small. Really small. And it didn't help that he was towering over her with that his arms crossed and that scrutinising glare.
'The good thing is that I have seen some potential, or else I wouldn't even had deemed you worth my time,' Endeavor then continued. 'Being this young and having such control over your quirk is remarkable. Right now we will work on your strength. Strengthening your body will allow your body to handle more. More beatings from you opponent, but also more of what your own body has to offer. If you train well, that last move of yours will be possible. Your body just isn't ready for it yet.'
Though not your typical words of encouragement, Ichika still smiled at his words. This man was know to be stoic, unreachable even and scary to most. To have him give her even the slightest of compliment was a shock. But if he thought this was what she needed, then she would give her all!
'You think you can handle my training?'
'Yes sir!'
'You've got one week to prove yourself. Impress me and I'll allow you to stay. Fail and you're out. So no slacking off, no shortcuts. Still think you can handle it?'
'Yes sir!'
He nodded in satisfaction.
'Good. Now then, what is your hero name?'
'The flame hero; Phoenix.'