Chapter 7

As the days passed by, Ichika grew more nervous. Having kept true to her word - and after Izuku's jokingly stated she still needed to do a phonecall, she had actually mustered up the courage to call Mirio. As Nejire had expected, he had been excited to go and didn't seemed bother by the fact that it would be on the last day before summer break.
What was surprising, was the fact that Mirio had stated he would invite Tamaki himself, after Ichika had stated she would call the others. While Nejire had promised she would call off their date last minute, there was still the fact that they needed to find a way for Tamaki to cancel as well.
'Worse case scenario is the three of you going together,' Nejire stated as Ichika walked up to the large building. 'And in that case, you can still sit next to Mirio.'
'True,' Ichika muttered as she kicked a pebble, her phone against her ear as she walked. 'Though I doubt he will give away any hints on whether or not he likes me with Tamaki tagging along.'
'You worry too much, Ichika! Just be yourself.' Nejire sounded about as excited as she was, even if she was missing out their usual movie night. All for the greater good, the girl had reassured her after Ichika had apologised to the girl for the second time. 'Just use your feminine charm and seduce your man, girl!'
'What feminine charm,' Ichika asked with a chuckle. 'I turn into a blushing mess whenever I get near him. That's not exactly the kind of charm I would use. Swaying hips and a confident smile would work better when seducing.'
Nejire laughed at the joke, agreeing with her friend.
'But,' the girl countered, her voice filled with mirth. 'You don't want to seduce him for a one-night stand. You want in for the long run, which is where you gotta be your usual pretty self. I mean hello, have you seen yourself? You're hot! Mirio would be an idiot if he turned you down.'
'I prefer him to like me for me though. But thanks.'
'Don't mention it,' came her quick reply and Ichika could hear the smirk in her voice. Nejire was having way too much fun with this. 'Anyway, you are going to call me later, right? To tell me everything about tonight?'
'Yeah, yeah. I will. Geez, nosey much?'
The blue eyed girl giggled at this, stating she'd been shipping her two best friends since the beginning. With Ichika being 'so damn cute' and with Mirio being 'too oblivious'. Even before she knew of Ichika's crush - which made everything even better!
'Anyway, have fun you two,' came the singsongy voice from Nejire, before she hung up. Not even waiting for a reply.
'Yeah, thanks,' the redhead sighed as she put her phone away.
Nejire apparently forgot that Tamaki was still coming along, even if they had discussed him just moments ago. So it would be the three of them, not the two of them.
She was just about to cross the road, when two hands were placed over her eyes. Her first reaction was to turn around and punch whoever was behind her, but stopped herself as soon as a voice cheerfully spoke from behind her.
'Guess who?'
'Oh,' she began exaggerated, sarcastically gasping in shock. 'Could it be? Is that you, Santa?'
'Really, Ichika? Santa? In late July?'
Ichika laughed as she turned around to face the familiar blue eyed teen. His ever present smile on his face as his hands dropped to his side. As expected, Mirio had traded his uniform for a simple blue t-shirt and a pair of jeans. And while Ichika wasn't staring, she most certainly didn't fail to check him out quickly. Who wouldn't? With the way that his shirt accentuated his bulging muscles, even if he barely moved his arms. Dang he's been working out a lot, she noted. While he's always been physically strong, Mirio had the lean type of muscles when they first met. And throughout the year he'd been gaining broader shoulders and bigger arms. Then there was that lovable personality of him and his radiant smile that could brighten anyone's day, how could she not have fallen in love with him?
Suddenly her cheeks flushed red. Fallen in love? She was crushing on him, not falling in love! Love was too strong a word that she didn't want to use! It was just a crush, she had to remind herself.
'Are you okay,' Mirio asked as his smile turned into a frown. 'You didn't sound too pleased a moment ago and now you're blushing. And I haven't started teasing you yet.'
There was a soft chuckle as he rubbed the back of his neck. But when he opened his eyes to look at her again, he frowned.
'Oh, it's nothing,' Ichika quickly replied, silently willing her reddened cheeks to disappear. 'It's just... I just got of the phone with Nejire. She can't make it.'
He didn't even ask why. He only grinned as he put his arm over her shoulder, effectively guiding her across the street - after making sure it was safe of course! Though his arm did not leave her shoulder as they walked. Nor when they reached the cinema. He only stated there would be more popcorn for them, before chuckling to himself.
'So,' Ichika began, dragging out the 'o'. 'Where's Tamaki? Shouldn't he be here by now?'
Which was true. The socially awkward boy may not be the first to arrive, he was never late either. He usually arrived just in time or 5 minutes ahead max. Yet here they were, a little late even if Ichika had technically been on time. She had just spend about 15 minutes talking on the phone with Nejire. Though neither Mirio nor Tamaki had been there yet, she had decided to stay where she was. Just in case either of the boys would hear her. Just imagine the embarrassment if they had found out she had hoped this to be a date!
But now she was here, along with Mirio. Yet no sign of their indigo haired friend. And that was odd indeed...
'Yeah, about that...'
Ichika turned her head so she could look at a sight she had rarely seen. A bashful Mirio. With soft pink dusted cheeks as he smiled awkwardly.
'He's not coming.'
'Oh? Why not?'
Stupid! You stupid girl! Why did it matter why Tamaki wasn't coming? Wasn't this exactly what she had hoped for?
'I kind of forgot to invite him.'
Though it was meant to be an answer, instead it sounded more like a question and why was he suddenly acting this uncomfortable? She could feel the tension in his body due to her standing next to him. And his arm flexed for a moment, a movement she didn't fail to notice. And the nervous smile he gave her, caused her to feel nervous too. Why would Mirio feel nervous though? It wasn't like this was a date. Not to him at least. To him this was just a movie night with his friends. With two of those friends not present.
'Well, ah... we-we could always do this another time.'
Ichika immediately scowled at herself for stammering. Way to make it obvious. Why not shout it his face how nervous you are! And what's with suggesting to cancel? Wasn't this what she had hoped for? And now she was suggesting to cancel the whole evening? Gheez, she's such an idiot!
'Nah, I'm good with just the two of us. Aren't you?'
His blue eyes met her green ones in wonder as he turned more towards her, so she quickly told him she was okay with just the two of them.
He was uncharacteristically awkward, Ichika noticed as they bought their tickets - which Mirio insisted on paying, no matter how much Ichika pressed that it was her idea. And he didn't let her pay for their popcorn either. And he wouldn't take no for an answer. Then they made their way over to the right room. An awkward silence between the two of them. Not even after they had taken their seats, did either of them say anything. With Mirio insisting on paying for everything, it certainly did feel like a date to Ichika. And of course, with her being the shy person she was around Mirio, she didn't know what to say. But what was up with Mirio?
She shifted her eyes towards the tall boy next to her. Not only was Mirio awkward at this moment, but he had been so throughout the day. Having been deep in thought this morning. So much so, that he hadn't even noticed she had taken her seat behind him during homeroom. And throughout their classes, the boy had seemed to be in his own world instead of paying attention to the teachers.
And now that she was here with him, waiting for the movie to start, Mirio seemed to be uncomfortable. His shoulders were tense and his hands rested on his knees in clenched fists and it seemed like he was desperately trying to avoid looking at her. Was he really okay with just them? Clearly Mirio was uncomfortable, but why? Was she making him uncomfortable?
Oh god! Of course she was making him uncomfortable! With the way she had been behaving around him! Her stuttering, her clumsiness whenever she knew he was looking. And not to forget the touching! She never really paid any attention to it before, but now that she thought about it, she had a bad habit of placing her hand on his arm. Whether it was to gain his attention, to comfort him or any other reason really. And never before had she taken it into consideration that Mirio might not appreciate it.
Shit, he must think she was some kind of freak!
Nervous by her sudden revelation, Ichika clasped her hands together and placed them in her lap. Her own shoulders now as tense as Mirio's, as she did her best not to look at the boy next to her. She'd really done it now. Way to be some kind of weirdo! What was she thinking when she agreed with Nejire? Why hadn't she pressed for the girl to come along? She knew it was a bad idea to trust the bubbly girls' gut feeling! Of course Mirio wouldn't like her the way she liked him!