Chapter 12

That first week had been intensive for Izuku. From what Ichika had heard, he had been put to the test by his homeroom teacher, Shota Aizawa, also known by his hero name; Eraserhead. A strict man, who lived by the rule of rationality. And if Ichika remembered correctly, he had expelled an entire class of first years last year. First years whom he thought had zero prospects. But it seemed he had seen potential in Izuku.
And to make things even better, there was a familiar face in his class too. Katsuki Bakugo had also passed the entrance exam and was placed in class 1-A, just like Izuku. The two had been friends since pre-school and Izuku had looked up to him since day one. Even if Ichika hadn't seen nor heard of the boy since she started at U.A., she was glad Izuku had not only a friend, but also competition.
A smile made her way to her lips as she put her hero uniform on. Of course Endeavor wanted her to work right after her first week. Once word got out that All Might would be teaching at U.A. the man had insisted she would learn more from him, than from the number one hero.
'We are fire users afterall, Phoenix,' he had told her over the phone. 'There is nothing he could teach you, what I haven't done already. Just be sure to be here on Monday at 7 am sharp!'
And that's how Ichika had spend her second week as a third year. Fighting crime and studying at Endeavor Agency when she was off duty. It wouldn't do her any good if she would fall behind right at the start of the school year.
After finishing dressing, Ichika looked at herself in the mirror. She liked her new high heeled boots. The gradient design matched that of her dress, starting with a deep red colour at the base, then slowly turning orange. Her short yellow skirt was a nice contrast underneath her long flowy overskirt and gave the visual effect of fire as she moved. And to make sure she wouldn't show anything during fights, she wore shorts underneath it. Of course the top of her collared dress showed some cleavage, it wasn't too much. Not now that they altered the size to fit her perfectly once again.
'It looks a bit different.'
Turning around, Ichika was met with the every bubbly face of Nejire
'Yeah, I've traded my ankle boots for some high heeled ones,' she told her friend as the two of them walked out of the door. 'I decided those block heels were too girlish when I'll be turning eighteen in a couple of months. So I thought I needed to upgrade to a more feminine look.'
Nejire nodded in agreement. Stating that they looked good.
'Hey, why is it that you are changing in your hero costume again, hm? You don't have hero training right now, or else Mirio would be changing as well. So what gives?'
'I don't know,' Ichika confessed. 'Inui sensei just told me to get changed and meet him at the staff room.'
'Ooh, that sounds exciting.' Nejire clapped her hands in excitement as the two girls exited the changing room. 'Do you think he's giving you another extra assignment?'
'Who knows. He hasn't given me anything for a while. Though that still doesn't explain why I had to change.'
Nejire hummed as she thought about all the possible reasons. But then she just shrugged, stating she wanted to know all about it after Ichika was done.
'I will,' she promised.
'Good. Well, I gotta go. I have English class from Yamada sensei, so boring.'
Nejire sighed in exasperating, before giving Ichika a hug and walked off. Ichika waved her friend goodbye, before waking her way over to the staff room. Though before she had even made it to the right floor, she ran into the familiar rough-looking Hound hero.
'Ah, Midoriya, perfect timing. Come, follow me.'
Ichika did as told, confused and still curious why she was in her hero costume. She noticed they were walking away from the staff room, which was even more confusing. He wanted her to meet him there right? So why were they now walking down the stairs again? Did he have special training planned for her? Had Endeavor called, demanding her presence for some promotion again? Actually, that did make sense. He had done that before in the past, so why wouldn't he do that again?
But as they walked out of the building, that idea was swiped off the table instanty. Because instead of walking towards the main gate, Hound Dog lead her towards Ground Beta.
'Ah, sir? Why are we here?'
'I'm surprised you haven't figured that one out by yourself.' He chuckled as she stopped of front of the giant door. 'We are here to take your training to the next level.'
'Haha! You are here!' The booming voice echoed as Inui sensei opened the door. 'Oh, it is you, Hound Dog.'
She couldn't believe it! She knew he was working at U.A. yet he hadn't given any of his classes yet. Not to her class, or any other class. But now he stood here, right before her. Standing tall and powerfull with his bright smile. The number one hero; All Might!
She knew the man was tall, but damn! He was huge! Standing this close to the man, she realised he was even taller than Endeavor and he was a wall made of flesh. But All Might? He was more like a strong fortress, an unbreakable fortress!
'Principal Nezu told me you needed help,' the man next to her said after he greeted All Might. 'So I have brought Midoriya here. She's my top student and aims to be a teacher. And eventhough she is a third year in the hero course, I have been teaching her in didactics and pedagogy throughout her second year. I think this is the perfect opportunity for her to put her theory into practice. Depending on how today goes, she might become your assistant during hero training.'
'Midoriya, you say?'
The man eyed her in curiousity, his bright blue eyes scanning her. It almost felt like he was looking for something and then it hit her. Hound Dog had introduced her, yet she had only stood there, staring at the hero like a starstruck fan.
'Y-Yes, Ichika Midoriya. It's an honour to meet you, sir.'
She gave him a polite, yet nervous bow. She hadn't felt this intimidated by a pro hero since she met Endeavor. But to meet the number one hero, that definitely brought out the fangirl out again. Besides, this man was the reason why her brother wanted to become a hero. And here she was, standing face to face with the man! Izuku would be so jealous if he knew!
She grinned at the thought. Though it seemed she wasn't the only one who found humour in their meeting. She heard the rumbling of All Might as he chuckled at something only known to him. Then his chuckle turned into a friendly laughter as he held out his hand for her to shake - which she obviously didn't hesitate to accept!
'I see. Well I gladly accept your help, young miss Midoriya. Tell me, are you not currently doing work studies at Endeavor Agency? The flame hero, Phoenix, was it not?'
She nodded in reply. But before she could say anything, the doors opened once again. This time a large group of students entered the training ground. First years from the hero course, with some very familiar faces.
There was the two-toned Shoto Todoroki, son of Endeavor and she also recognised the ashy blond Katsuki Bakugo. Which meant...
'Ichi!'
Her eyes immediately fell onto the student in the green jumpsuit. He was completely covered, even his face was covered by the mask - which reminded her of a wide grin with bunny ears. But she recognized it as the jumpsuit her mother had made for Izuku as his hero costume and she definitely recognized his voice.
'Hey there, Izuku,' she grinned as the boy quickly made his way over to the two pro heroes and third year.
'I'll be on my way now. Oh and Midoriya, I expect a full report on todays assignment, understood.'
'Yes, sir.'
As Hound Dog left, Ichika turned her attention towards her brother again, who now stood in front of her.
'What are you doing here? Don't you have classes as well? Do you have hero training too? Don't tell me we are to spar against you third years! No that wouldn't be logical, would it? I guess it might make sense though, to show us what to expec...'
'I'll stop you right there, Munchkin,' she cut off the rambling boy. 'It seems I'm here to help All Might for todays lesson.'
'That's right. Phoenix here is going to help me teach you kids about what it takes to be a hero. During today's training, she will be as much as your teacher as I am, so I expect you treat her with respect.'
The students of 1-A murmured amongst one another. Stating how cool it was to have a third year with them besides All Might. Others wondering who she was, only to have that question answered by Shoto.
'She works at my father's agency,' he answered monotonously. 'He's been practically steaming her ready to become his sidekick.'
That caused a roar of excited chattering, before All Might sussed them.
'Sensei,' a tall student dressed in a robot-like costume began as he moved next to Izuku. 'This appears to be the same field used in the entrance exam. Will we once again be preforming cityscape maneuvers?'
Ichika turned to All Might at this. She had no idea what he had planned, he hadn't been able to tell her anything, before class 1-A had arrived.
'Nope.' The man boomed equally excited as he spoke. 'You'll be moving on to step two! Indoor battle training. Phoenix, you know this training, am I right?' She nodded. 'Good, would you mind explaining it to these fine young heroes?'
'Oh, ah...' Ichika stammered , slightly caught off guard by his question. But then she cleared her throat and did as told. 'You see, villain battles are usually seen outdoors, but statistically the most heinous villains are more likely to appear indoors. Which is what this training is about. The cleverest of villains out there lurk indoors, sheltered by four walls and a roof.'
'Exactly! You'll be now split into villain teams and hero teams and face off in two-on-two indoor battles!'
'What about foundational training,' a girl with long dark green hair and large eyes wanted to know.
'This is foundational training,' All Might told her excitedly. 'Only this time there aren't any robots you have to destroy.'
Suddenly everyone started to speak all at once and All Might was having trouble answering their questions. Ichika even swore she heard the man mutter underneath his breath about being unable to hear them while they were speaking at the same time. She wanted to help the man, but was afraid she might overstep some boundary. She was just a student afterall. But after seeing All Might being bombarded with questions, she decided to step in and help him out. If he wouldn't appreciate it, he would tell her afterwards, right?
'Guys, I understand that you're excited and all, but perhaps it is a better idea to ask questions one at a time?' She gave a sideglance at All Might, but he said nothing to stop her, so she pointed at the familiar boy. 'Yes, Bakugo.'
His red eyes glared at her as she said his name, before he voiced his demanding question. Or questions actually.
'Why are you here, Red! And is it okay if we just blow our opponents away?'
'As stated before, I am here to assist All Might during today's training,' she answered his first question, ignoring the nickname he had used to adres her, as well as his tone. Some things never change it seemed. 'As for your other question, what do you say, sir? As long as it remains civil?'
All Might just nodded his head as he looked at her in wonder. But Ichika was too busy to notice. Instead she had her eyes turned to the students as she tried to regain order by pointing at another student. This time it was a black-haired girl in a red leotard that showed off her mature physique.
'Yes, you?'
'Momo Yaoyorozu,' she said out of politeness, probably sensing Ichika's unease.
'And I was wondering how we determine who wins and loses?'
'I think you can answer this one better, than I can, sir.'
'Ah, yes. Of course!' Seeminly having overcome the overwhelming feeling of standing in front of a class of teenagers, All Might regained his posture as he started to answer Yaoyorozu's question. Though not before glancing at a small paper she noticed he had read while she was creating order. 'For this training we'll have some 'villains' guard a nuclear weapon they plan on deploying. The heroes must stop them and their nefarious schemes, before it is too late.'
Ichika suppressed a chuckle as she listened to the man as he recited the paper he held in his hand. Though she couldn't help the corners of her mouth from tugging upwards. It seemed he was just as nervous as she was and he had been able to prepare himself. The poor man probably had no idea what he was signing himself up to when he accepted the job opening as teacher.
After All Might had finished answering the question, he started to randomly pick the teammates by lottery. Each team consisting of two students, the lottery would also decide whether they would be heroes or villains when it was their turn. With the two teams picked, the first round had officially begun. A fight between Izuku and his teammate, a bubbly girl named Ochaco Uraraka against Katsuki Bakugo and his teammate, the boy in the robot costume named Tenya Ida. And what a fight it would be.

'Well done, everyone!'
Ichika stood next to the towering hero, her arms wrapped behind her back as he praised class 1-A. And a well deserved praise it was. Ichika was really impressed by how strong these first years actually were! Sure, they wouldn't do well against real villains, but they definitely had potential. These kids were strong, real strong! They only needed proper training to use their quirk to their full potential.
'Now, I'm off to give Midoriya his evaluation. Midoriya, I'll leave the rest to you.'
And with that, the dashing hero dashed off quickly. Ichika needed a moment to process and as she turned to look at the students, it seemed she wasn't the only one. Still, All Might wanted her to round things up, so she would. Clapping in her hands, she gained their attention.
'Alright, that's it for today's lesson. You can change out of those costumes and head to your next class. Class dismissed.'
She smiled at the students, watching them chatter excitedly as they started to head back to school. It was only when it was just Bakugo and her, did she move. But instead of following after the rest of 1-A, she made her way towards the boy. He had yet to move from his spot. His red eyes still glaring at the ground as he clenched his fists in anger.
Even when she stopped to stand next to him, he remained motionless. It seemed he didn't even noticed her presence. Well, that was until she gently pushed her shoulder against his to make her presence known.
'You've grown since I have last seen you,' Ichika started as she looked at the departing students. But when the hothead next to her remained uncharacteristically quiet, she turned her head to look at him. 'You've also grown stronger. The control you have over your quirk is admirable. I don't know what you have been doing these passed two years but it's clear you have done some serious trai-'
'Why are you here talking to me, Red?'
His glare had finally shifted from the ground to meet her surprised green eyes. Though Ichika did not flinch at the harsh tone, nor the piercing glare. She had grown used to his strange way of communication. An explosive temper for an explosive quirk user, it seemed fitting and somehow it had grown on her throughout the years.
'I guessed it was the reason you stayed behind? To catch up with me?'
She grinned at him teasingly, before she frowned at him.
'You have nothing to be ashamed of, Katsuki.' He scoffed when his name left her lips, but Ichika ignored him. 'I know that you are used to others admiring your quirk and being the best. Especially with Izuku. But things have changed. You might find that you will not always be the best and won't be able to win every fight.'
'What would you know about anything!'
'I'm a natural with my quirk as well, remember? And quite intelligent, if I may say so.' Ichika crossed her arms as she fully turned towards him. Her frown still present. 'And maybe you have forgotten, and I regret to admit it, but I once was a hothead as well. My temper being tempered by entering U.A. So I do know a thing or two about how you feel. The only difference is that you actually want to be here.'
That seemed to have caught his attention, for his glare slowly switched to a less angry expression. Though a hint of his glare still lingered as he looked at her.
'What do you mean by that? You don't want to be here?'
'Nope.' Ichika wrapped her hands behind her back and leaned back a bit as she looked up at the sky. A smile on her lips. 'I never wanted to become a hero, remember?'
As she lowered her gaze to meet his, she noticed his brows had furrowed together as he seemed to be in thoughts.
'I always wanted to be-'
'A teacher. Yeah I remember.' His voice was a low, annoyed grumble as he spoke. 'So why are you here then? You're a student of U.A. in the hero course.'
'Currently? Being a teacher.' His glare returned and she chuckled. 'I'm kidding, sort of... I'm still planning on becoming a teacher, that's why I was here today. But I do have to graduate and I'll probably have to work as a sidekick for a couple of years. But that's none of your concern. What is your concern is how to improve your skills. Especially your teamwork. Like I said before, you have an amazing control over your quirk. But you'll need more than that here. It's better to realise that sooner than later. And stop sulking about your loss. Instead try and learn from it.'
He muttered something under his breath as she smiled. At least he wasn't glaring anymore. And he had stopped yelling as well.
'Have you been sharing your advice with Deku as well?'
Ichika blinked in surprise, for a moment wondering who Deku was. But then she remembered Izuku had chosen that name as his hero name and grinned at the ashy haired boy.
'Nope. You're my little guinea pig. Tell me, how are my teaching skills?'
'They're crap!'
And just like that, the hot-head she knew was back. Though her smile didn't falter when she told him to go and change into his school uniform. To which he angrily replied that he didn't need to be told by an imbecile like her and stomped off. Though he only took two steppes before Bakugo stopped in his tracks. Without turning around or looking over his shoulder, he said her name to get her attention.
'Thank you.'
And with that, he walked away. Not even waiting for a reply. The sudden words of gratitude left Ichika speechless for a moment as she watched him with wide eyes. But then she smiled and whispered out an 'you're welcome', before following after him to change back into her school uniform as well.