Chapter 13

'Phoenix!'
'I'm on it sir!'
Using her quirk, the hero in training shot forward with incredible speed stop the villain Endeavor had chased in his tracks. Wings of fire blocking his way as she stood before him. With a flick of her wrists, flames flared up all around them, bringing the villain to his knees. His vines withering in the heat. There was no need to even physically hold him in his place. The heat of her flames was enough to immobilise him.
'Well done, kid,' Endeavor complimented his trainee as he came up from behind the villain. 'That was your quickest catch yet. As for you, villain, you will atone for your crimes. Holding people as hostages, despicable.'
Ichika lowered the heat, but kept a close eye on the short man, until he was in handcuffs and taken away by the police. Only then did she deactivate her quirk, though she did keep her wings. It had become her trademark, just like Endeavor used his flames as a mask.
'You've improved greatly, Phoenix.' She turned to look up at the giant of a man standing next to her. His large hand falling on her shoulder as he complimented her. 'Keep this up and I might rethink my decision to have my son succeed me.'
'Thanks, but I think I'll pass, sir. I wouldn't dare take that spot from Shoto.'
Endeavor scoffed, stating she wouldn't be taking anything. That it was something one should earn, not get by privileges.
'Besides, I don't think he would actually mind,' the man admitted begrudgingly.
Oh, oh, trouble in paradise...
'So I take it he isn't taking his training serious then?'
'He's only becoming more defiant.'
Endeavor's grip on her shoulder intensified in anger, before he released her. Without a word, he turned on his heel. He didn't even pay attention to his fans as they cheered for him, nor to the journalists who tried to get a word out of him. But upon realising the stoic hero wouldn't be giving them any of his time, some turned towards Ichika.
'Wow, she's amazing!'
'Endeavor's really trained her well, don't you agree?'
'Yeah, he did.'
'I heard she is actually his daughter. I mean, he practically grooms her into becoming his successor.'
Another butted in with a rumour that rendered her speechless for a moment. The absurdity! She looked nothing like Endeavor.
'Oh, I guess that does make sense. They do have a similar quirk.'
Who even came up with such a rumour? Her eyes landed on a young girl with bright blue hair waving at the flame hero enthusiastically.
'Can I get your autograph?'
Ichika walked over to the child, complying her request. Even after all this time, it still felt surreal that people actually recognised her and wanted her autograph.
'There you go,' she said, giving the notebook back.
'Wow, thanks so much, Phoenix! Look mommy, I got her autograph!'
The mother bowed at Ichika in return, thanking her for her time.
'How 'bout we go on a date?'
'I'm sorry, I already have a boyfriend.'
That of course got the attention of the journalists and within no time, the redhead found herself bombarded with questions and both camera's and microphones were aimed towards the startled teen. Wanting to know all about this boyfriend she had just mentioned. Was he training to become a hero as well? Was he just a regular guy who was lucky enough to have caught her eye. Or perhaps he was already a hero and was their love forbidden due to her being a minor.
'Well, I-I...'
Damn it! She could already see the headlines. "Flame hero, Phoenix, a forbidden love story." Or perhaps it would be more like: "Endeavor's secret love child?" These reporters were always hungry for juicy rumours. They didn't even care whether or not they were true. As long as their story would sell.
'Phoenix!'
The gruff voice of her mentor snapped Ichika out of her thoughts. Her piercing turquoise eyes glared at the reporters, before they found her green ones. And without needing to say anything else, she knew what he meant.
'I'm coming, sir!'
And off she was, running after the retreating flame hero she so admired. Her face still flustered by the sudden interest in her private life. As she followed after Endeavor she wondered whether or not the man had heard anything and if so, how much. Perhaps he had heard the reports and decided to step in to help his student. Or perhaps he had just grown impatient to have to wait for her.
Either way, she was grateful to be away from them. Whether Endeavor had rescued her on purpose or not.
'Our patrol is over for today.' She raised her eyes to see the man was still looking ahead. So instead she watched his spiked red hair move with each step. 'Seeing as you have caught the villain, you will have to write a report about it.'
'Geez, what a surprise,' she sassed with a lopsided smile. Now that is was only her and Endeavor, her confidence was slowly returning again. 'And here I thought you would do it this time, seeing I always have to do yours.'
'Don't sass me, you brat!' His blames blazed up as he stopped in his tracks to scowl at the teen. 'I am your superior and you will treat me as such!'
'Of course I will. But that doesn't mean I like getting a rise out of you.'
She chuckled as the hero turned around to shout at her for her lack of respect. Making bystanders turn to look and stare. Not that either of them cared. Endeavor was too busy scowling his student and Ichika was too amused.
'Just head back to the agency and get started,' the man eventually sighed in defeat. 'The sooner you're done, the sooner you're out of my hair.'
'You know you love me.'
His brow twitched, but otherwise the hero remained silent. Because truth be told, Ichika had grown on him. He knew she had admired him from a young age and she had started seeing him as a father figure. With the lack of a present father, it wasn't that strange. Though it felt strange to have a child view him as such, when his own children failed to do so. Even if it was his own fault.
Perhaps that was the reason why he had let Ichika get away with all her snide remarks and sassy comments. And while he would never admit it out loud, he actually enjoyed hearing her ramble about school and her friends. Or to see her face flush red with embarrassment or anger whenever he made a mocking comment about her boyfriend. A sneer he used as a way to tease her and he knew that she knew that as well.
It was something he was unable to do with his own children. Fuyumi never sought him out during her teenage years and even now she rarely spoke to him. Natsuo didn't even look his way and when he did, it was to glare at him. Their only form of communication was shouting at one another. And as for Shoto? The boy did enything he could to defy Endeavor. To anger him whenever he could. And now that he was a first year at U.A. he used it as an excuse to be away from home as often as possible.
Truth be told, he was grateful for the chance to share such moments with his student. Yet at the same time it was shameful. To have a non-existent relationship with his own family, yet shared a father-daughter bond with the girl. And he didn't know what to think of it, nor how to behave most of the time. But he knew he did enjoy it.
'Just be sure to get them done.'
'Will do!'
The rest of the way neither of them exchanged any words. With Ichika only humming contently, while Endeavor remained his stoic self. Though after she had finished the report and bid the man goodbye and he had told her when he expected her to return, he bid her farewell with an uncharacteristically pet on her head.