Chapter 15

Nora awoke to the sound of her mobile buzzing on the pillow beside her. Her groan was immediate, but the loathing she felt quickly disappeared when she realised only one person would consider ringing her in the morning. So, with a small sigh she rolled onto her back, claiming the mobile with a tug so that it was released from the charger before answering the call.

"Good morning, sis," Her brother's voice called out, as she acknowledged the ceiling of his kitchen, appear on her screen. Why Leo had such a fascination with face time, and in particular, why it occurred in the early hours were questions that Nora considered to probe, but as usual, she put the thoughts behind her, as she awaited the reason behind her brother's call. "Jeez Nor, you could at least wash your face,"

The younger sister could only roll her eyes, ignoring the panda like circles that appeared in the frame. Truthfully, she did look quite a mess. Her mascara had ran, causing smears on her face and on the hotel pillow...which hopefully she wouldn't get charged for, perhaps she should flip the pillows before they leave-

"Nora," her brother interrupted the running thoughts and she returned her attention to the screen, where Leo's brown eyes...her eyes, stared back at her. "Did you hear what I said?" She shook her head. "Dad's getting married,"

It seemed Leo expected her to be shocked by the announcement, but their mother had already beaten him to the chase just two days prior. "I know," She confessed with a shrug.

"You...know?"

"Yeah, mama told me," She added, moving to a seated position and hunching over the device, in a way that caused her red hair to frame her face like a lion's face.

"Well then, why haven't you RSVP'd?" The older brother scolded as she sighed. As much as she loved her brother, that love did not continue the moment he began his self-righteous act.

"Because I don't know if I'll make it," She confessed with a shrug, "I told you, Ali and I were extending our trip,"

"Yes, but I didn't realise that included missing our own father's wedding. He wants you there Nor,"

"Well he must do, if he's got you hounding me," She retorted, allowing new anger to burn her stomach as she raised her voice.  "So much so, he didn't even have the courtesy to even tell me,"

"Well you know the two of you haven't always got on, but what about Leah?" The mention of her step-mother to be did well to simmer the heat fuelling her emotions but she swallowed the guilt attempting to stick to her point. "I know you love her, so don't say you don't", He reminded, killing the bubble of denial that had started to build the moment he had mentioned her step-mother-to-be's name.

And it was true. Leah had been nothing but kind to Nora ever since they had met. She'd always bought her sweets, and no one could top her birthday presents, including the brand new icing set that Nora knew hadn't been cheap and had been on her Amazon wish list for what felt like decades.
Still, though Leah wasn't the catalyst for destroying her parent's marriage, she had been the one to lift her father's spirits. She'd changed him, and perhaps it was for the better, but Nora couldn't see the positive that Leo and her mother had identified.

No, her father had leaned on a stranger to find his way back to humanity, and amidst it all, she'd become lost. No longer tethered to either parent and no longer needed in their lives, or her brother's  as they each found their way to new happiness.

"The wedding's on Saturday...he wants you there, well all do" Leo added, his tone softened with knowing sympathy. Part of the train wreck that impacted Nora's relationship with her father, was partly because her brother had left her to deal with the divorce on her own, and though it was a topic untouched, after four years, Leo hadn't quite forgiven himself. Still, it wasn't the source of their dispute, and so Nora added: