31

(DISCLAIMER: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, businesses, places, events, locales, and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. It's important to remember this is all totally fabricated, embellished, and exaggerated for entertainment purposes.)

**********

Your love might be my damnation

But I'll cry to my grave...

Chris Stapleton – Fire Away

"Flowerssss!" I cheered, stepping into G's apartment on her birthday. 

"Heyyyy bubba!" 

The place was still decorated by her mom from the party they threw her the night before. It looked like an atomic confetti bomb had gone off. Gift wrap and ribbons were strewn all over the floor. Champagne glasses and pastel colored cake frosting was all over the coffee table. I did a double take thinking I'd spotted a line of blow. From the looks of it they had a ball, but I was happy I'd been spared. I couldn't make it because I'd been out of the country, but promised I'd make it up to her today.

She stood across the lounge hugging a massive arrangement of roses and grinning sheepishly. I moved towards her, kicking a noisemaker out of my path midway. "Nice! Who from?" I asked, shadow boxing them.

"Stoppp! C'mere!" she kissed me with her tacky lip gloss. "Kasim sent them over!"

"Who's dat?"

"You know, the guy from Paris, remember? I met him at fashion week in Milan before we all headed over for France? Babe, I told y—"

"Oh yeah...the African guy." Now she smiled uncontrollably down at his card, setting the pink bouquet on the desk in front of her. "Soh, uh, he say anythin' of interest'?"

"Kind of..." she giggled, turning red. "But not really. He was just reminding me of how we all got, like, sick on the rollercoaster after eating tons and tons of funnel cake at Disney World."

"Gross."

"Tell me about it," she tucked the card back into the flowers and strutted across the room, fanning her hair out behind her. "So, what's up? What we doing later on? I'm all yours for the day. Well, for tonight, anyway. I have to run a few errands right now."

"Cool, cool. I was thinkin'...how about a quiet dinner? Then maybe circle back here for a nightcap? B can join, and your mum if she's up for it."

"Sounds good, babe. Can't wait!"

"I got cake, by the way."

"Sssshhh! Don't tell mom," she laughed, cleaning up a few deflated balloons and confetti from the sofa. A massive G and the numbers 22 floated above it against the wall.