11

Lea

"Tomorrow will be the last day of two months and they will announce the world Covid free!" masayang sabi ni Dr. Geronimo.

Every time I hear her happy, para akong nahahawaan sa kasiyahan niya. She's like lighting my dark mood. I don't know why.

"Doc Sarah, may patient tayo. 'Yung pina-review ko ang chart sa 'yo kahapon," I said as we walk down the hallway papunta sa 7th floor.

"Oh, yes po. I've received it and I can do the endorsement later," she gladly said which made me smile.

We reach room 707 and there a man in his early 40s is laying on the bed smiling. Of all the patients I had, Mr. Norman's one of those few na nakangiti despite their condition.

"Go on, Doc Sarah," I said and she did. She endorsed the patient.

"When po ang first operation niyo?" I tried asking.

"January 05, 2017 po, Doc," he answered agad. He knows. He remembers.

"And sa second operation, kailan po?" I asked again trying to know if he remembers it too.

"January 13, 2019, Doc," walang kahirap-hirap niyang sagot.

The reason why I'm amazed right now is that, sa lagay niya na he was operated twice, dapat he won't be able to answer right away and won't be able to remember the exact dates.

He's suffering seizures that's why they came and took an MRI last week and now is scheduled to be operated tomorrow kasi tumubo na naman. Knowing it will be his third, it is risky. We don't know what would be at risk. It isn't easy now.

"Doc, actually po I have something to tell you," he said.

I looked at him and waited for him to tell me what it is.

"I won't have the operation," he spilled which made me widen my eyes.

"Why, sir?" I asked since I need to know why. Baka takot lang siya. If that's the case, I'll help him lift up his hope and courage.

"I don't think it is worth it," he replied which made me even confused. He was smiling kanina na parang alam niyang he would make it sa surgery tomorrow, and now he's opposing the surgery. I don't get it.

"Sir, risks are high, but we never know the result until we try," Doc Sarah tried convincing.

"I have faith that the time is at hand and I will be able to walk normally and this tumor will disolve even without surgery or whatever,"  he said which added to my confusion.

I looked at the family and it seems like they're not worried. Parang they agree on the decision not to pursue the surgery. What just happened sa ilang oras lang na lumipas?

"Ma'am, can we talk?" I asked the wife and we went on the hallway para 'di marinig ng patient.

"Ma'am, why so sudden po na nag change ng decision?" I asked which she replied, "because he'll be healed in a few months. The time has come."

I don't know if they're pranking me or they're playing things na parang there's an element that'll come to heal them. Ewan ko.

"Healed by who?" I asked since I'm curious.