13

Lea

"The number of Covid positive increased," Doc Sarah sadly announced.

We're here at the office behind the nurse station while checking on some charts.

"How? I thought it had gone down."

"It did. However, biglaang tumaas"

She is now letting out deep sighs, and I can hear the sadness in her voice. She's the person who's very much looking forward to this end of pandemic and now this happened. For sure she's deeply sad.

"Are you positive that's what you saw?" I also anticipated that we would be free in a few days, so I asked. Ako rin mismo I want this over.

"From DOH and the WHO. It is true when I looked into it on other websites as well. I asked in the isolation area on the second floor, may mga nag positive nga raw, and now the isolation floor is almost full kasi pati ang mga vaccinated ay natamaan din," she explained. Now I can see why the hospital is so busy.

Doc Dawn, who had just entered the office, said, "Back to PPE tayo, Doc Lea."

"Kaya nga e. I was so happy pa naman that we would no longer use those, but I was wrong. Nakakapagod isipin how can we continue living like this. The anxiety of each everytime they go out knowing there is no safe place. Again, it may take two to three years. Because of this, the protective vaccine was insufficient. Baka bagong variant ito."

"Have to go, Doc Lea, Doc Sarah. Another blessing to be delivered e," Doc Dawn said as she wave her hand and left.

"Ako na rin mag ra-round. You can go to the isolation room and see what you can do, if none, sa ER. If wala pa rin, you can call me and I can tell you my whereabouts para makasama ka sa akin, okay?"

"Yes, Doc!"

I am now heading out to make my rounds after she left. I'm still sad about the sudden outbreak of Covid again.

My phone vibrated while I was walking, and it said it was a call from my mother.

"Mom?"

"I've heard the news, anak. Are you okay?" she asked. "I hope you're not one of them." Her voice was so worried.

"Mom, I'm safe. I'm just about to make some rounds. Ikaw po? Are you alright? What about Gerard po?"

"Gerard and I are both fine. Be careful there, anak. Protect yourself by wearing PPE. We have no idea who might be carrying the virus, so please be safe and protected, okay?

"Yes, Mom. You too po and Gerard."

"One final question. Are you and Aga talking, or baka hindi kayo nagpapansinan?" I was taken aback by the question she posed. I had no idea she would ask that.

"We talked last time. It was short, but it felt like too much. We're doing fine, and we're not fighting here. Mom, we're professional," I said to get her to stop asking.

"Are you not talking sa loob ng hospital? Are you guys angry towards one another pa rin?"

"I'm not mad at him, Mom. We barely see each other, which is why we aren't talking sa loob. We are not in the same department and we barely get to work together. That's the reason." I explained hoping she stops asking more.