Chapter 28 - The Best

Elias

"You need to sleep, man," Alexander stated, glancing at his watch. "You've been driving all day, you're tired."

I was beyond tired.

But sleep wasn't the answer. I still needed to speak with Kaia, explain myself, and hope she doesn't fucking kill me for lying to her.

"Stop whining and pass me the bottle." I brushed him off, taking the whisky he handed to me. "This will make it all better."

And I lied again. I told Kaia we were going to make a 'plan', but we were really just getting drunk. That was my plan because I didn't know what else to do.

We stole one of the bottles that Josefina kept under her bed, she always had easy access to alcohol her whole life. When Alex and I were still in high school, that was where we always took it from.

She knew, and she scolded us a few times, but in the end, she gave up. Drinking was something that both of our families always did. There was always a bottle around wherever we were.

Finally, the liquor hit me. I found myself leaning back into the chair, looking at the sky just as my friend was. We were sat on the balcony, the very balcony I spent almost all of my nights with Alexander and Daniel. It was our spot.

This was the first place I ever smoked a cigarette, smoked weed, drank alcohol, and tried most of the various drugs we used to do back in the day. I find it so funny when I sit here, remembering what I used to be like, and how my life was going to shit all over again.

Get up Elias, just go talk to her.

"Deja de pensar en ello y ve a hacerlo," Alex said, kicking my foot so I would get up. "You have plenty of time to self-loathe later. Don't keep her waiting."

(Stop thinking about it and go do it)

Somehow, he could read my mind word for word. He was right. I needed to get it over with. None of this was fair, and it would be even worse to keep avoiding the subject. She had questions, and I had to answer.

Slowly, I stood, attempting to keep upright. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to finish a whole bottle before going to her, but I couldn't un-drink the whisky.

I rubbed my eyes, stretched my arms, and carefully made it to the door. I looked back to see Alexander gulping the rest of the liquor, to which I frowned. "Save some for me, asshole."

"I'm not saving shit for you, asshole." He laughed, throwing the cap of the bottle at me. "Now go, and try not to get distracted again. It's still not the time to be aggressively making out with her."

Jesus Christ.

I almost forgot I did that.

Sometimes, I lose myself in my emotions. Like that day Rachel walked in on me and Kaia kissing when I found out she planted that money. I began to choke her, and I didn't even realize I was doing it.

And then, when I had that argument with Rachel, I killed the guy that sold her the drugs. I didn't mean to. I was just going to give him a beat down, reinforce the rules, but I fucking killed him.

Now Kaia. I had to kiss her like that seconds before I thought we were going to die. I got so caught up in the moment, I would've gotten on my knees and eaten her pussy right there if Alexander didn't stop me.