Chapter 41 - The First Time

Kaia

This bitch was fucking crazy.

I had met other crazy people before. Like Bianca (sometimes), my father, and anyone else who was in this business. Nobody in their right mind could take lives and move on as if it were another normal day.

The knife that Rachel had was a couple of feet away from me. I was tempted to pick it up and shove it right into her heart, but I knew that wouldn't end well. I had never killed anyone before, so I wasn't too excited to have lingering nightmares for the rest of my existence.

"Kill me then." I continued to press on the side of her head with my foot. "I'll drag your ass to hell and back before I let you near him again."

Fuck.

I slipped up. I tried to make it seem like I didn't know what I was doing. Rachel was winning the fight, and my ego wouldn't allow that. I had to use the full potential of my strength, and remember the moves my father taught me when I was trained.

Just then, as I waited for a response, arms wrapped around my waist. Elias dragged me away from his ex-girlfriend, and honestly, it was probably for the better. I didn't know how much longer I could hold out before committing my first murder.

"You need a time out." Alexander picked Rachel up off the floor. "Let's go."

They disappeared into the elevator. Nasir was gone by that point, leaving me alone with Elias. He looked at me weirdly, like he was going through some sort of realization. It was gone so fast that it might have not even been there.

"Come." Elias guided me to the elevator and ran a thumb across my sore bottom lip. "Let's get you cleaned up."

***

To say I was feeling territorial over Elias would have been an understatement. From enduring this whole trip, seeing Bianca, seeing Ian, and finding out that I wasn't pregnant, I was under a lot of stress. As soon as things got good, they got even worse. I couldn't take a break, relax, and figure out a plan for the next week before Nathaniel came back for everything.

We reached Elias's floor. I was about to step into his apartment before he stopped me and told me to wait outside. I did. He returned moments later with a pack of ice to put on my lip and a bandage, to cover the scratch on my arm that Rachel had left.

He then led me to a door at the end of the hall. I had never noticed it before. I just assumed that this was where Alexander or Nasir stayed, but it wasn't that.

"I want to show you something." he grabbed a set of keys from his pocket and began to unlock the door. He glanced back. "Keep the ice on your face. Por favor, amor."

(please, love)

The nickname didn't seem very special until right now, since I began to care about his words, and what he said to me. My heart squeezed a little at the sincereness, and I immediately put the ice pack on my face as he asked me to.

I barely paid attention to the sting of the scratch on my arm or the bruise on my lip. Too many things were going on for me to focus on the pain. I just wanted to know where we were going, and I just wanted a minute to take a fucking breath.

The door opened, revealing one big room instead of an apartment layout like I expected. I walked inside and saw that against every wall, there was a large bookshelf that covered it completely. This was a library.

Books covered almost every inch of the space. Some on the tile floor, some on the wooden coffee table, and even a couple on the windowsill, overlooking the main road beside the hotel. There was one black armchair with a lamp beside it located directly in the middle of the room. Other than that, there was nowhere else to sit.