"Friend" (Rewritten)

12 years had passed since meeting Hiroji. 11 since meeting her.

"Class A?" I asked, sinking into the plush leather chair.

"Yes, there are four classes - A, B, C, and D," Principal Sakayanagi stated plainly.

"I assume Arisu-sama will be in Class A?"

"Correct. The top students go to A."

"I see. And I'll be joining her there?"

"Actually-" Sakayanagi started before the office door swung open abruptly.

"I requested Shira-san not be in my class," Arisu interjected, sauntering in elegantly.

I shot up in shock. "What? You're joking!"

Arisu smiled smugly, leaning on her polished cane. "It was my request. Don't worry, you're still to protect me if needed."

I glared at the principal accusingly. "Did you arrange this? What if she's in danger and I'm not there?"

Arisu placed a calming hand on my shoulder. "It's okay, Shira-san. I want you to experience normal school life, not just guard me all the time."

I looked down dejectedly. "Have I failed as your sword?"

"Of course not!" Arisu laughed. "You've protected me perfectly. But here, all students have security. Relax a little." She smiled warmly.

I bowed my head. "I'm unworthy of such a merciful ruler."

"And I'm unworthy of a sword as loyal as you," she responded sincerely.

The extravagant academy loomed before me. Thanks to Arisu-sama's generosity, I could live a regular school life here. But staying alert was my duty.

Boarding the bus, I took a seat in the middle - next to a brown-haired, golden-eyed boy. His eyes sparked a sense of familiarity in me. Have we met? No, impossible. I knew no one beyond Arisu-sama and Hiroji.

Behind the boy sat a striking girl with long black hair and captivating red eyes - a classic Yamato Nadeshiko. But Arisu taught me not to judge on appearances. I noticed the book in her hand - Crime and Punishment. Interesting choice.

My training breaks with Hiroji instilled in me a love of literature. To teach me patience, he said. I think he just wanted me to have a hobby. That man's methods were unorthodox.

That being said, Hiroji told me that while I was in school, I should make something while I was here... What was it?

Was it 'french fry'?

A sudden commotion broke my concentration.

A cute, short-haired girl pleaded, "Would anyone give up their seat for this old lady?" Definitely a rom-com runner up.

"No one cares for others without merit!" proclaimed a blond, narcissistic looking boy. "Only I, a perfect being, understand such concepts!"

I scoffed internally. Perfect? Not unless he could defeat me in combat and Arisu-sama in chess - the only true tests of perfection.

Could I ever meet someone so talented? I pondered as I departed the bus.

Facing the academy, I realized - I had no goals anymore. Be strong. Serve Arisu-sama. And now?

"What should I do now?" I muttered aloud.

"Wait!" a voice called. The brown-haired boy and I both turned to see the black-haired girl approaching angrily.

"You talking to me or him?" I droned.

She glared coldly. "Why were you staring on the bus?"

I looked at the girl and blinked confused. "Oh I was just admiring the book you were reading, Crime and Punishment is a great read! If you want another book similar I recommend-" 

"I wasn't talking to you, I was talking to him." She cut me off while pointing at the brown haired boy who I was seated next to on the bus.

I felt slightly hurt at the misunderstanding. "Ah... okay..." I responded dejectedly before moving towards where the enterence ceromony took place.

The ceremony dragged on painfully. Sakayanagi's monotonous words flowed in one ear and out the other. Glancing around, I saw I wasn't the only uninterested one.

Afterwards, I located my classroom - 1-C. I took a deep breath and opened the door to my new life.

What could go wrong?

Inside, eyes flitted to me briefly before returning to their own worlds. Good, no mess up.

I took my assigned window seat in the back corner. My neighbor was a cute girl with silver hair and light purple eyes.

Should I talk to her? What if she thinks I'm weird? Hiroji said to find common interests. I noticed her book - The Catcher and the Rye, a personal favorite.

"That Catcher in the Rye?" I asked, leaning toward her.

She looked shocked. "You know this book?"

I smiled warmly. "Huge fan of books like it."

Her eyes lit up. "Have you read Dorothy Sayers?"

I was taken aback that she knew one of my favorite mystery writers.

We ended up chatting excitedly about philosophical crime books and classics like Gatsby. I promised to lend her my copy.

She giggled. "Did you really bring a pile of books too?"

I chuckled in return. "Wanted as much literature as I could get!"

Oh I remember what Hiroji told me to make now!

She extended her hand cheerfully. "I'm Hiyori Shiina! And you are?"

I shook it. "Shira Funaki. Pleasure to meet someone so pleasant."

It wasn't 'french fry'! It was a-

Friend.