Chapter 3 : Diagnose

She saw Cardinal Rivers, rising huge and red, quaking the earth as he grew. His eyes burning in flame, towering over her like a rising volcano, casting a shadow so wide it darkened the city.

As he drew his arms across the sky, heaven cracked and let in a storm of hail and fire, setting her hometown on fire, but instead of running, everyone on the street just stood and chanting for him.

"TRAITORS WILL BE CONDEMNED TO ENTERNAL HELL!!" the Cardinal commanded like thunder, and all eyes on the streets turned to her, burning with the same white flame, reaching for her in the familiar robotic movements.

Chloe puts on her guards, but the sea of people were closing in from all directions, with their burning hands grabbing for her. She tried to fight free but she felt weak, her arms and legs were shorter, she was only nine year old.

More arms caught on her, sealing her from her air and vision. She felt fingers gripping everywhere, digging into her skin it hurts, some even went for her face, pressing her eyes and into her mouth, as if wanting to tear her apart.

* * *

She shot up, fighting for her breath, the dream was so real she could still feel the fingers sank into her skin.

"Chloe!"

Christi rushed over, hugging her baby to her bosom. Her voice, touch and smell brought Chloe to tears, she cried hard, couldn't remember the last time she needed her mother so much.

"It's okay now. Mommy's here." Christi caressed her daughter like she was baby Chloe again.

Chloe collected herself, took a look at the unfamiliar surroundings. It was a bright room with a window, her bed was large and walled up from all sides, a monitor was displaying bouncing green lines across the screen. She's in a hospital.

"What happened? How did I get here?" she looked down at the hospital gown she was wearing.

"Detective Kelly called me. She said you were drugged!" Christi said worriedly.

"Drugged? I didn't..." Chloe wanted to explain, thinking how her mother may react to such news, but then she recalled drinking at the ritual. "Where is Detective Kelly?"

"She's away filing some reports. She said she'll be back in a moment."

Christi gently laid her daughter down to bed, brushing her hair like when Chloe was little.

"Honey, you know Mommy never question what you do, but I'm not stupid. I know your reasons, and I'm proud of it."

"I'm sorry, Mom." a guilt washed over Chloe hearing her mother's support, even under the circumstance.

"Maybe it's time to stop? Haven't you helped enough? When can you get back to a normal life? You're only fourteen. You have a long life ahead of you."

"But there are bad people out there. I can't sleep knowing they are hurting people."

"There are always bad people out there. You can't get them all." Christi brushed her daughter's hair, almost in tears thinking what her baby went through.

"I want to do the best I can." Chloe spoke firmly, recalling her own unfortunate event.

"But you're still too young, and there are many other ways to help people, Chloe." Christi forced a smile. "Look. When you finish college, you can find a good position in the government, then you'll have all the resources to take down bad guys."

"Join the force! You'll have all the fun you want!" Detective Kelly knocked on the door, behind her stood a young man in doctor's coat.

"Detective Kelly said you had quite a party last night." the doctor in wire glasses patted the folder on his chest. "I'm Doctor Arroway. I'm studying your case."