Chapter 4 : The Visit

Chloe woke up with a dry throat, the clock on the wall said 3:11am. The medicine she took put her to sleep since her mother went home, she had no intention to sleep some more.

She took a sip of water from her glass, relieved from the dry hospital air. She stepped out of bed and looked out the window, the night was quiet, with ambulances occasionally pulling in and out, there were no sirens.

Feeling stiff from the long sleep, she ran her routine stretch, keeping her legs straight and folded until her face touches her knees, and then making a perfect split on the floor.

I still have it! She felt proud keeping her body in shape even after leaving the studio.

She decided to take a stroll outside the room. The hospital was quiet, too quiet for a fact, not a single person could be seen. Then she heard a voice, like a faint sobbing echo from a distance. She looked to the end of the corridor and found the stairs, the voice was coming from there.

She followed the voice to the open roof, the view looked over the Pittsburgh city night. It was a clear sky but no moon, the rooftop was illuminated cold and grey by its own floodlights.

Under the dim light she followed the sobbing to the concrete fencing, and found a little girl in hospital gown, hugging her knees and face buried in between.

Chloe wanted to call for a staff, but she couldn't leave the girl here all on her own, so she squatted down to study the girl.

She must be no older than ten, her blonde hair was dirty and messy. As Chloe took a closer look, she gasped seeing the cuts and bruises covering the little girl's skin.

"Oh my God! What kind of monster did that to you?" Chloe asked.

She carefully reached out to touch the girl's hair, the poor thing looked so vulnerable, reminded Chloe when she was little.

Suddenly, the little girl looked up and burst out screaming.

"YOU DID!!" her little eyes raged with hatred, her young face badly beaten, screaming from her cracked lips. "YOU DID THIS TO ME! YOU DID THIS TO ME!!"

Chloe jumped back in horror, a pair of strong hands grabbed her by the waist, her defense mechanism kicked in, threw back an elbow to knock her captive away.

Another heavy body slammed her to the ground, pinning her to the hard concrete. She struggled for her life, then she felt a sting at her arm, like a needle, and then she lost vision.