Chapter 14 : Chaos

Christi wanted to stay look for Chloe, but the stream of people flushed her out of the building.

The parking lot was illuminated by powerful flood lights, with staffs waving flashlights, directing people into various sections. Fire trucks were pulling in, sounding their horns to make way.

"CHLOE!" she shouted over the panicking crowd. "CHLOE!!"

She grabbed a staff in uniform, begging him to find her missing daughter, but each time she was given the same response.

"Ma'am. You need to stay calm! Our staffs are clearing the building. We won't leave anyone behind!"

Her heart raced, like the day when she learned that Chloe went missing. Again she blamed everything upon herself, for not being a good mother, for not giving more care for her baby, she didn't even give her a goodbye kiss when she dropped her at school that morning.

She's strong! Christi tried telling herself. She's stronger than you think!

Then she heard a scream, some woman was pointing at the top of the building. Firemen directed a spotlight to where the woman pointed.

"Oh My God!!" Christi gasped in horror.

Seven floors up and on top of the hospital building, a figure was standing at the edge of the roof. Chloe in her hospital gown, was balancing herself on the edge of the concrete fence, swaying with the wind.