Chapter 15 : Fire

Chloe quickly checked on Paige, who was holding her head crying.

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!" Chloe sobbed.

The air was filled with smoke and gunpowder, gunshots could be heard in a distance, Kendall's school was burning from every corner. It was the day of the assault, the Cartels have taken the school and held everyone hostage.

A stray of bullets punctured through walls like they were cardboard, Chloe caught Paige and dived behind a storage cabinet.

"Chloe...?" Paige coughed.

Backing away, Chloe saw her friend bleeding from the chest, that dive has accidentally brought Paige into the line of fire.

"Oh My God! I didn't..." Chloe broke into tears.

"I thought we were sisters..." Paige panted.

"Paige... Paige..." lost in words, Chloe pressed on the wounds, trying to stop the bleeding, but only made it worse, Paige spat blood and collapsed in her arms.

"Paige! Wake up! PAIGE!!"

She shook hard and shouted her name, but Paige remained unresponsive, her dead eyes remained open and staring into distance. Watching her best friend died in her arms, Chloe cursed herself for being so reckless, and put her friend in harm's way.

Brooke stormed in from another door, her had a gun in one hand and the other pressing to her waist. She too has been shot.

"Brooke!" Chloe looked up.

Badly hurt, Brooke lost her footing, dropped to the floor and saw her little sister.

"How could you, Chloe? She loved you like family! I trusted you to protect her!" Brooke's voice cracked, the strongest of the team broke down in tears.

"No! It wasn't like that! It was an accident!"

Chloe laid Paige down and went to treat Brooke's wound, but the big sister slapped her hand away in despise.

"Get away from me!" Brooke panted, her face twisting in agony at every breath, but even that she broke out a grin. "Congratulation Chloe! You beat us all! You are the only one on the Pyramid now! I'm glad I see your true face!"

Brooke glared in hatred, right until her final breath, her eyes refused to close.

"BROOKE! NO!!" she hugged her best friend and cried. "Take it back! Please take it back!"

Chloe's heart crushed, to see her closest friends leaving one by one, all resenting her to their death. She let out a desperate cry, shouting Brooke's name again and again, until her voice broke and throat torn, but the big sister still lying motionlessly in her arms.

Fire closing in from every direction, but Chloe had no intention to leave. She wished to go with her friends, in hope to salvage their friendship in the afterlife.