15 | a tragedy

Briana's POV.
"Bri! Bri, baby, wake up!"

I opened one eye, and Cam was jumping on the bed. I looked at the time, and it was eight o'clock in the morning. As mad as I wanted to be, I couldn't be because he looked like a big ass kid.

"Why on God's green earth is your big ass jumping on the bed?" I asked, chuckling lightly, "and why so early?"

"Because I couldn't sleep anymore, and I got bored," he said, still jumping, "and I wanted you to be up with me."

"Are we here by ourselves?"

"Mhm." He dropped down and sat next to me. "Ya know, your morning voice is really sexy."

"Thank you," I chuckled again.

He leaned down to kiss me, but I put my hand up to stop him. "I'm not kissing you until I brush my teeth."

"Then let's go!"

He yanked the covers off my body, scooped me up and carried me to the bathroom, bridal style. He set me down on the counter, then handed me my toothbrush and the toothpaste.

He knelt down in front of me and lifted my shirt so he could kiss my stomach. "I love you, baby Newton."

I looked down at him in awe as I finished brushing my teeth. He is so cute.

"I love you too, NaNa," he grinned, putting his hands on my waist and kissing my lips.

He picked me up, carried me downstairs and set me on the kitchen counter.

"You love me, right?" he asked, running his hands up & down my thighs.

I chuckled. "What do you want, Cameron?"

"I want you to make me pancakes because no one makes them like you," he said, pecking my lips. "But don't tell my mom I said that."

"Your secret's safe with me," I giggled, hopping off the counter.

As I got the ingredients and mixed them up, I looked at Cam and thought about all that's happened in the last couple of months. I graduated at the top of my class with a 4.0 GPA and Cam declared for the draft back in January.

I made it past the miscarriage stage so now, I'm almost four months pregnant. We get to find out the sex of the baby in a couple weeks, and I've never been more excited about anything in my life.

Once I finished making breakfast, I heard music playing throughout the house. Soon after, Cam came back in the kitchen, singing terribly to "All My Life" by K-Ci & Jojo.

He grabbed my hand and led me to the living room, where we danced around the room as he continued to sing. I let out a series of childish giggles as he kissed my neck and sang in my ear.

The song ended, and he leaned down to kiss me. We just stood there kissing, and we didn't pull away until we heard someone clear their throat. I looked behind Cam, and his mom was standing in the hall with a smirk on her face.

"You two are up pretty early," she said, walking into the living room.

"Cam woke me up at eight o'clock so I could make him pancakes. They're finished if you're hungry."

We all went into the kitchen and started eating and engaging in conversation. Jackie was saying how bad she wants a granddaughter since she had three boys, and it made me want a girl.

In the middle of our conversation, I got a phone call from my grandpa. I always answer his calls, so I excused myself from the table and went outside.

"Hey Grandpa!"

"Hey baby girl..."

I could tell something was wrong from the tone of his voice. It just didn't sit right with me, and it made me nervous.

"Grandpa...what's wrong?"

He cleared his throat and sniffled, making my heart sink to the floor.

"It's your grandmother...sh-she passed away this morning..."

At that moment, it felt like someone punched me in the stomach and knocked the wind out of me.

This can't be real life.

~

Cam's POV.
Looking outside, I noticed something was off about Briana's body language. When she turned around to come inside, I furrowed my eyebrows at the tears that were streaming down her face.

"Briana, what's wrong?" I asked, standing up from the table.

She ignored me and ran out of the kitchen and I'm assuming upstairs. Because we were worried about her, my mom & I went to check on her. We found her in the guest room, and she was frantically packing her suitcase.

"Briana, sweetheart, what's wrong?" my mom asked.

She ran her shaky hand through her hair and looked at us as more tears spilled from her eyes.

"My grandma...she...she died this morning."

Without any hesitation, I wrapped my arms around her, embracing her in a tight hug. She cried harder into my chest, and I cried with her. I hate seeing my girl so upset.

"I have to go," I mumbled.

"We're coming with you," my mom said, wiping her eyes.

"Oh, you don't ha—"

"Don't be silly," my mom said, "you're family now, and we're gonna be there to support you."

Briana smiled weakly then gave my mom a hug. "Thank you."

"No problem, sweetie."

She walked out, leaving me alone with Bri, who went back to packing.

"Baby, I'm so sorry," I said, sitting next to her on the floor.

She slowly looked up at me and started crying all over. I pulled her onto my lap and ran my hand up & down her back as she cried on my shoulder.