18 | gender reveal: pt. 2

Cam's POV.
I can't believe we're having a girl. The whole ride back to Bri's grandfather's house, I was grinning like an idiot. My little girl is gonna be so spoiled.

"So when should we tell everyone?" I asked, getting Brooke out of the car.

"Well, you know my aunt Audrey is having a party for us tomorrow," she said, walking up to the front door. "We could do it then."

"Alright."

We went into the house, and the first thing I saw was my family sitting in the living room.

"Happy birthday, Cam!" they shouted.

I walked up to them, with Brooke still in my arms, and gave them all a hug.

"What are y'all doing here?"

"Briana called us and told us to come," my mom said, taking Brooke from me.

I turned to face Briana, and she just smiled at me sweetly.

"I love you," I mouthed.

"I love you more," she mouthed back.

I kissed her forehead and hugged her without squeezing her too hard.

Once I pulled away, Brooke jumped down from my mom's arms and ran to her room. She came back after two seconds, holding a piece of paper.

"Here Cam," she said, handing me the paper.

"What's this?" I asked, kneeling down to her level.

"She colored a picture and wanted to give it to you for your birthday," Briana explained.

I heard a bunch of "awes," and I just smiled at the two year old in front of me.

"You did this for me?" I asked her. She nodded. "I really like it. Thank you."

She smiled really wide and gave me a hug. If our baby girl is anything like her aunt Brooke, I'm gonna be a massive pushover.

--+--

the next day.. | May 12, 2011

For Briana's birthday, I wanted to make her breakfast like she did for me. But since I can't cook as well as she can, my mom decided to do it instead.

I went into Briana's room, carrying Brooke, and she jumped on the bed.

"Sissy, wake up!" she shouted.

Briana's eyes shot open, and Brooke just started giggling like her life depended on it.

"Why you so loud?" Briana chuckled.

Brooke stroked Briana's cheek and kissed her forehead. "Sorry, NaNa. Happy bir'day."

Bri sat up and giggled at her little sister. "Thank you, baby girl."

I sat on the bed next to her and playfully kissed her lips. "Happy birthday, baby."

"Thank you," she giggled.

I scooped her up and carried her to the bathroom so she could brush her teeth. Once she was done, I carried her to the kitchen and set her in one of the chairs at the table.

"Good morning," she said cheerfully.

"Happy birthday!" everyone shouted.

"Thank you!" she smiled, "Jackie, do you need any help."

She started to stand up, but I lightly pulled her back down. As long as I'm around, she won't be doing anything.

"The only thing you need to do is sit there, look pretty & enjoy your birthday," my mom said, setting all the food on the table.

While Briana ate, Caylin handed me her gift. I know she told me not to get her anything, but I couldn't resist.

"Happy birthday, babe." I set the box in front of her, and she slowly looked up at me.

"Cameron, I told you not to get me anything," she said.

"Well you know I'm hard-headed, and I don't listen."

"Yeah, I can see that," she smirked, cutting her eye at me.

She picked up & opened the box, and her eyes began to water. I got her these gold earrings with a necklace to match.

"I knew they would look good on you, so that's why I got 'em," I said.

She set the box down and wiped her eyes because she started crying a little harder.

"Do you not like it?"

"I love it," she cried.

"Then why are you crying?" I asked, rubbing small circles on her back.

"Because I didn't get you anything yesterday, and now I feel worse."

She threw her forehead down on the table as I continued to rub her back. I looked up at my mom for help, but she just shrugged, leaving me to fend for myself.

"Bri, baby, you didn't have to get me anything," I said, hoping it would calm her down. "I'm not mad."

When she didn't respond, I looked back at my mom, and she just mouthed "get used to it."

I noticed her grandfather walked in the kitchen, and I thought of the only thing that could cheer her up.

"How about we tell everyone the sex of the baby now," I suggested.

Her head shot up, then she wiped her eyes & smiled. "Okay."

She grabbed my hand under the table, and I simply smiled at the gesture.

"Everyone," I started, getting their attention. "We were gonna wait until later to tell you, but we wanted y'all to be the first to know."

I looked at Briana, and she squeezed my hand and smiled.

"Briana's having a girl," I finally said.

They hugged us and expressed how excited they were, but no one was more excited than my mom. She was already talking about all the ways she could spoil her first grandchild.

Seeing how happy our families were brought a smile to my face. It makes me excited to see what the future holds.