Chapter 3: Tryouts

Another day, another dollar... or a hundred and fourteen yen. Whatever is the current currency exchange.

Currently, I'm in the school library to check if I can find any of the books. I am not sure if they have light novels in this school library, but who knows if I can find something there.

I must remember where and when this whole scenario started. Since I'm in this godforsaken place, maybe there is a chance that I can find this light novel.

Going through each section, I try to find what I'm looking for, but they're all academic-related textbooks.

The books I've taken note of in each section are just Mathematics, English literature, Japanese Literature, and so on.

I Strolled through the sections, and there really are a wide variety of books in this school. Like, too many, but there weren't when I tried to find the light novel section. There are some familiar-ish light novels, but those may be the stuff that I also got interested in.

Frustrating as it can be, maybe I'll just pick another book that piques my interest before leaving then I'll head back to class.

I picked a book that piqued my interest, "The Empire that Strikes Back." For some reason, that sounds like a typical Sci-fi book of some interplanetary space opera. Hey, it's just some nerdy stuff that I like. No one's that interested in it. Sike, though it does sound like a story similar to that of my world. It's just a story of some young boy brought up in a place where his responsibility is forced upon him by the entire Empire. The Empire struggled to compete against other factions but conquered other planets with all these reforms and stuff. I can say the best part is not only the technology but the excellent world-building behind it. Welp, that's going to be a story for another day.

Holding the book, I sat on one of the seats where readers would open their book and skim through its contents. There's this girl with short silver hair and glasses reading a book of some sort of romance story. Though there are not many people in the library, one thing I would always know. There would be someone in the library that is often present, a bookworm, a nerd, or most likely one that does not want to interact with their own peers.

No, wait... That's... Nozomi Chika, another love interest of Yoichi. I opened the first few pages of the book and read a bit of it, but my eyes kept pulling themselves to Chika's calm, collected, and quiet personality. She looked like she had been enjoying that book. Well, at least this is the first time I have encountered this girl without the main character's presence.

There always has to be this some sort of trigger event wherever he would arrive, the gods of the harem would bring in some Ecchi or 'oh my god, there's a cute girl in the vicinity, time to drop him in front of her and had him touch the most delicate part.' I would have been accused of sexual harassment if that ever happened. It's a manga or a light novel, though—someone's fantasy written on their book or typing on their keyboard to satisfy their cravings for women.

As human beings, I get it that we love to be connected in one way or another. But let's apply logic here. Oh wait, never mind. Whatever that logic is applied may not work.

It's like going to another world in a fantasy setting and basing everything on your morals, values, and culture. It would become an obstacle to one's own views if the other didn't see it in you in the first place. Anyways, enough about philosophy. If only I just had been transported in a fantasy world where I get drawn in to by fantasy race girls like elves, magical girls, warriors, or maybe a succubus, I would have died happily.

However, I've ended up in a mundane slice of life story instead. Why would they do this to me? It's like placing me into where I am currently familiar but stack that with weird logic. Although I like that logic in this world, they don't apply to me! They still apply to that goddamn main character.