trentasette

◇unedited

We stepped into the maid quarter which I claimed to be my house now. Vincenzio sat down on the couch in the living room.

"I didn't know she was camping in front of the house," Vincenzio muttered, he was exaggerating it a bit. Because he doesn't know she was here already and determined to make a home here.

"She was here yesterday," I informed him.

"On what courtesy?" He eyed me curiously. I took a seat on the other side of the couch beside him.

"To make a family." I shrugged and ignored the tug in my heart as she wanted to be the stepmother of my daughter. I couldn't accept my daughter being parented by her, she couldn't even fit for being a decent daughter. Her heart was corrupted by society and she only cared for herself. How could she care for my daughter?

"Family?" He voiced out.

"She wants to claim her right as his wife and to meet her daughter." I emphasized the 'her' as she said. Venom, that what my voice was full of. "I don't want my daughter near her, Vincenzio. Do you not see what she wanted? I won't let Fiorelli involve in her crazy plan."

"Marsello has written a will about his inheritance." He spoke. "My people reported about that. The share will be valid when it meets its requirements."

"Her, getting married, right?" He nodded surely but not sure. I could see it in his eyes, it was like a strike of lightning, gone as fast as it came.

"That was what she said when she first came to me. I guess he changed his mind," he looked at me deeply. "When he saw you." He completed.

"Why?" Curiosity creeping up. The reason why I asked him to come down here was to ask about Mr. Blakemore. He was so persistent that I believed he tried to know about me sincerely. The look on his face when he saw me at the hospital, I wouldn't forget about it. When he asked to speak, James was also very persistent.

"He loved his wife dearly, she was his rock. You won't believe me when I say he kissed the ground she walked on once." My eyes widened at what he said. Kissed the ground? "In front of his men. She was very upset with him."

"There was a time when he went a little crazy. I guess it was the time when she left home with you. I wouldn't know for sure since I was just as little as James. What I heard were stories around the neighborhood." I nodded, taking in the information he provided.

"How did Suzy happen?"

"One nightstand and accident happened, I guess. It was only when she became an adult, she came to him and demanded her right as his daughter. I guess it never changes." Being persistent and demanding, he meant. I could see it now.

"She was a year younger than you." He spoke as he could sense it coming.

"She's dead," I told him and my mind was in a fuzz. I was thrown in the orphanage by her and she went on digging her own grave.

"Scusa, sorella?" He looked like I had just thrown him the biggest fear of his life.
(Pardon, sister?)

"My mother."

"Oh." As if it hit him, he reflected back on the couch. "When did you find out?" I could feel mournful in his voice. I would accept his late condolences.

"Yesterday." He nod, but I couldn't tell what he was thinking. He was not an open book like James. But I was an open book to him.

"Marsello is not a bad guy, Jamee. He is fierce in his work field and scared people off. All he wanted is just to spend time with his family. That was why he wanted Suzy to get married as she is his last resort."

"Has he been lonely all this time?"

"You can say that." He replied with a nod.

"Jamee ..., oh my gosh my house!" James walked in being irritated and his face was as red as a cherry. But my daughter looked so calm. I guess he was not so calm and collected like his daughter.

"What happened to the house?" I calmly asked as I took Fiorelli as he handed her to me.

"She turned my house into her personal dungeon." He pointed out towards the main house.

"What do you mean?" Vincenzio asked and James turned to him with a hard glare.

"What do you mean?" James shoved his question back at him. "See for yourself, be my guest." He gritted out, definitely losing his temper. I could feel that James was blaming him for taking part in sneaking Suzy in.

"No, thank you." He refused and James rolled his eyes at his brother.

"I'm not offering, Vincenzio. I told you to go and get that woman out of my house. You started this and you should be the one to end it. I don't care which way you use, just do it." James ordered his brother as he work for him.

"No, James. We need to distract her as we help Jamee spend some time with Marsello without Suzy having to involve or it will get ruined." Vincenzio had to explain to James to make him understand. I felt bad for him, his life was plan after plan. He looked just like a rugged doll.

"You're going to give him a chance?" James turned back to me, his eyes softened as he took a seat next to me. "With his effort? I begged you at the hospital." He threw a glance at Vincenzio.

"I just need time to take it all in, James. Thank you for trying in the first place." I placed my hand on top of his which was on his knee. I appreciated his effort. Maybe he was trying to put Mr. Blakemore in his place and how he wanted me to listen to him.

"Although, he asks me. I'll take the credit." He shrugged and I couldn't help but punch his shoulder lightly. Unbelievable, it was all the man's work.

 Unbelievable, it was all the man's work