quarantaquattro

◇unedited

A hard knock on the door made me stretch out to wake up. Who was knocking so loud on the door in the early morning like this?

I turned around and found James still sleeping soundly. So, I got off bed quietly to get to the door. I walked up to the door and unlock it, I was faced with Suzy. She looked ready for the day.

"Yes?" I asked.

"I need you to clean the house properly and cook a lot of food because my father is coming soon. Is that understood?" She glared at me. What was that all about?

"Marsello is coming?" I couldn't help but ask even though it was lowly.

"It's my father who will come, so you better serve us accordingly. Where's my husband anyway? Did you lock him in there?" Her eyes narrowed inside of the house, searching for James.

"Why would I bother? Excuse me, I need to get ready." I pushed the door to close it in front of her face and lock it again.

Why would Marsello come here?

Why didn't he bother to inform me?

I came back to the bedroom and saw James had woken up. He stretched out and turn to look at me. "Where were you?" He asked in a raspy voice and gestured for me to come back to bed.

Climbing back to the bed, he pulled me under the cover with him.

"James, I need to get ready. Suzy said Marsello is coming, did you know that?" I asked while facing him with my head on the pillow.

"No," he shook his head. "Why would he come here?" He returned to ask me.

"How would I know?"

"He was supposed to inform me, not her. Who does she think she is giving a free pass like that? Such a b-," I covered his mouth before he could finish the sentence. He really needed to be taught about the language barrier.

"Do you need a lesson in languages?" I glared at him.

"I'm sorry." He apologized and then sat up. His eyes looked at the crib where Fiorelli was surprisingly still asleep. "How come she is still asleep? Did she get tired?" He wondered and I would too. But last night was the sleep I needed, it was just peaceful.

"We didn't do much yesterday, she was with Marsello."

"Does she feel comfortable being with him?"

"Yes," I replied and recalled yesterday's event. Fiorelli was comfortably sitting on his lap and they were talking randomly, baby talk.

"That's good she was not afraid of him." He nodded. "Can you get me some clothes from my room?" He asked softly but I frowned.

"What?" I asked in bewilderment. "Just go back and shower. Don't be a coward." I slapped his leg, hurrying him to get up and leave. He needed to get ready and be a host for Marsello who was about to come.

"I'm not," he denied while shaking his head.

"You are." Seeing how it was nice to tease him, so, I did. "La tua bambola come una moglie ti sta aspettando."
(Your doll like a wife is waiting for you.)

"Ssttt, I'm going." I chuckled at how fast he was to give in every time I mention his wife. I watched him get up from the bed towards Fiorelli's crib to give her a kiss. He did it carefully, so she wouldn't wake up before the time.

"James," he stopped and turned around. "Can you ask Nicholas to get some fruits? We don't have much, we need watermelon and mango." I told him.

"Okay." And then he left.

-

I gave Fiorelli a bath and now she was dressed in a cute little puffy dress.

"Papa?" Fiorelli looked at me with her round eyes asking for her father.

"Papa is having a bath just like you," I told her. "Can you be a good girl for Mama today?" She nodded obediently and then I caressed her head softly.

"Kiss," she cutely asked.

"You're so pretty." I complimented her and give her a kiss as she asked. I would have given her unlimited kisses without being asked. She was just way too cute when she ask for one.

"Let's go find Benjamin and ask him to carry you around. Sounds fun, right?" I picked her up, getting her excited.

Benjamin was on standby, I didn't need to look for him again. So, I asked him to look after Fiorelli for some time while I had to work in the main house. I was still wondering why Marsello would come all of the sudden because he didn't say anything yesterday.

I walked into the house and the first thing I saw was Suzy sitting like a queen on the couch in the living room.

"Oh, you're finally here. Go on and get to work." She clapped her hands, gesturing for me to hurry up. I moved without answering her but then stopped when a sudden thought come up in my mind.

"Did you give permission to Marsello to come here?" I turned to face her.

"Of course, he's my father." She cockily replied.

"But this is James' house, not yours. Do you know why people abide by his permission to come here? Even the guards wouldn't let them in without his permission." I spoke out, staring at her intensely. "How did you know he would come here? James didn't get any information about it."

To cornered her like this would make her feel under pressure.

"He's my father! He doesn't need permission to come here."

"Everyone needs permission to come here, even my family members." James appeared and looked at her with a stern expression. "Who do you think you are to give permission so freely? Do you take my words as a joke, barbie?" It was obvious that he was making fun of her with the name-calling while I was just playing at him with that.

"I am your wife, your permission is as good as mine." She was still stubborn and persistent about that.

"Let's see, wife. What can you do for me to be worthy of the title?" James intimidatingly walked up to her. I could see Suzy was starting to feel the pressure, she was shaking in her seat.

 I could see Suzy was starting to feel the pressure, she was shaking in her seat

I'm terribly sorry for the break. I felt so lost and couldn't continue writing but I tried, so here I am. I don't want to put this off way longer because I don't want to put any expectations for the next chapters.
So, bear with me, and thank you for waiting.