[No Time for Jokes]

[Arius]

I ran after the guards, through the halls and down to the prison cells. To be honest, I’ve never been in the dungeon before. And I actually thought I would never have to come down here. I yelled at the guards, telling them to let her go.

       But they wouldn’t listen.

       At least until I got ferociously angry.

       “Let her go!” I yelled.

       They ignored me again.

       This time, I ran past them, stopped in front of them and glared. “If you don’t let her go right now, I swear on my mother’s grave that I’ll rip both of your heads off when I become Pharaoh!”

       They looked at each other and then let her go. They then bowed.

       I grabbed Alexandra’s hand, ignoring her wide eyed shock, probably because of what I just said, and dragged her behind me.

       I knew where she wanted to go, that wasn’t too hard to figure out, but getting there was the problem.

       I looked into every prison cell, and god there were maybe hundreds, but I couldn’t find him. Until I got to the end of the long hall.

       When I looked in, I saw her grandfather, sitting there, looking at the floor.

       I looked to my left and saw a guard standing there. “Open the cell.” I ordered. He hesitated, but did what I said.

       Alexandra ran in and hugged her grandfather.

       Ishaq seemed surprised. “Alexandra… how…”

       She started to cry in his arms. “Why did you do this?” She asked. “That new pharaoh… he is worst than the old!”

       Ishaq ran his fingers through Alexandra’s hair. “He’s not.” He said. “He is actually a very good man. He only does what’s right.”

       I thought about that for a second. It was true…

       “But they’re going to execute you!” She half screamed.

       “That’s because I killed the Pharaoh.” Ishaq said, calmly. “And returned to Thebes even though I was banished.”

       “This isn’t fair!” Alexandra yelled. “You don’t deserve this!”

       Ishaq smiled. “Child… my life has come to an end. I was going to die eventually… I am old and the Gods wish for me to leave this world.” He said. “I am not scared or in any way upset. My life goal has been fulfilled. I have made sure that the Queen’s soul will be at peace and I am happy. You should be happy to.”

       “But—”

       “Be proud of this old man.” Ishaq said, looking at Alexandra. “Will you not?”

       She managed a laugh. “I am proud of you. I’ve always been proud of you.”

       He smiled and patted Alexandra’s head. “I will see you again one day. You know that right?” He asked. “And when I see you, I will be with your mother and father and grandmother.”

       She smiled and nodded.

       Ishaq then looked at me. “Will you promise to take care of her?”

       I felt my heart ache as I thought of the banishment. How was I to take care of her if she was banished?

       But I nodded. “I promise.”