Arius - [Ignorant Fool]

I came to fetch some water to water my mothers favourite plant and was a little surprosed to see the green eyed girl running on the slippery, wet clay floor.

      I yelled in her direction, telling her to stop running. But she kept going.

     Did she not hear me, or was she ignoring me? I told the girl to stop running, but she continued to run. I was about to shrug and walk away when, from the corner of my eye, I saw her slip.

       I turned around and began to run towards her, almost slipping myself, but she fell too fast. The pot she was carrying smashed into hundreds of pieces and she also hit the floor hard. She blinked a couple times, and then closed her eyes.

       When I reached her I pulled her into my arms, there was no sign of blood, so my panic decreased, a bit. I checked her breathing, and it was fine, a little bit of stuttering, but still fine. I felt the back of her head, and I felt a bump. I lifted her up and carried her into the palace.

       Akhen walked by just then, “Brother! What happened? Who is this?” He asked.

       “Akhen, go find a doctor, quick.” I told him.

       “Uh, yes, hold on. I’ll be right back.” He ran off.

       Akhen came back in a few moments, a doctor behind him. The doctor examined her and said all is well.

       But then he chose to add in something else. “My prince, she is but a slave, there is no need for you to go overboard in trying to save her!” He said, slightly amused. “The loss of a slave’s life isn’t a very big deal.”

       I stared at him in disbelief and sent him of, what a fool.

       “Brother, the doctor does have a point. She is a slave, why do you care so much?” He asked.

       “Akhen! Slave or not, she is a human being! Everyone deserves a chance to live…” I said, angrily. “Just like mother did!”  

       I immediately wished I hadn’t said the last part.

       Akhen and I stood in silence and then he said, “Um, brother, I have some work to do, I’ll go now.”

       I nodded my head.

       “And I won’t tell father, he’ll probably get really mad.” Akhen said grinning at me.

       I smiled back, glad that he wasn’t upset with me.

       After Akhen left, I stood in the room for a short while.            

      Maybe I was overreacting. I shook my head. Why does it matter? Is it wrong to worry about someone’s safety? Of course not!

       I sighed and walked out of the room and at the same time the big eyed limping girl walked by.

       “Ah, perfect timing, my Lady! Your friend has fallen down and hit her head, she is fine, but do you mind watching her?” I asked.

       The girls cheeks turn red, “U-um, yes, of course.”

       I thanked her, showed her into the room and walked off.

       As I walked through the halls, I was hoping I didn’t hurt Akhen by saying what I did. He was a good kid, just young.

       I guess it’s true, after seeing my mother die the way she did, I can’t just watch someone get hurt, maybe that is why I wanted to help her and maybe that is why I was panicking.   When I met her the night before, she told me to stop helping her because she was a slave, I guess I couldn’t do that, I really am too nice.

       I walked down the hall, sighing and telling myself that it is okay to be nice.

       Suddenly, I saw my father. I stopped walking just as he did.

       “Arius!” He yelled.

       “Yes father?” I replied.

       “I am leaving Egypt for a little while.”

       I stood their shocked, I didn’t expect that.

       “I am going to visit Syria to settle some things, and I am leaving you in charge.”

       I stared for a second but then nodded my head. “Yes father.”

       He began to walk in my direction again and stopped when he was next to me. “This is your chance to prove to me that you are not an ignorant fool, understood?”

        His voice sounded threatening, but I nodded.

       “Yes father.”