Chione - [The Doctor]

I tried to pull away but he was too strong. He pushed me out of the large throne room and finally let me go. I turned around and then he grabbed my arm, he began pulling me somewhere. He didn’t look at me or say a word so I began to get nervous. He was probably upset with me for telling the King the truth… but what was he going to do with me?

       I tried to pull away but his grip just tightened. “Where are you taking me?” I asked, as rudely as I could.

       “To a doctor.” He said, still looking forward. I stared for a bit but he still didn’t turn around. I have to be careful, I thought, he might be lying.

       We walked in silence for a few minutes. We were walking in a familiar hallway and stopped at a familiar door.        The Prince knocked on the door and it slowly opened. A man with a kind, tired face walked out, “Ah, my Prince!” He said bowing.

       I recognized the voice immediately; he was the Doctor who treated me on the first day I came here.

       “Doctor Tumini, why did you not come to the banquet?” The Prince asked.

       “Oh dear, I couldn’t even think about it!” He said as he ran his hands through his own short black and grey hair. “I have a wife and two kids, I wouldn’t be the husband or father my family wants if I’m running around partying all the time.” He said winking.

       The Prince smiled. “You are a good man Doctor Tumini. You’re family must be grateful.”

       “Ahh, I only wish.” Doctor Tumini said, laughing loudly. “Oh and my Prince, please forgive me if you are insulted by me not showing up”

       The Prince shook his head. “No, no. Please, don’t worry about it.”

       “So what brings you here?” The Doctor asked looking at me.

       “Well, during the banquet, this girl dropped a tray filled with wine glasses and attempted to clean the mess with her bare hands.” He said showing my hand to him.

       I felt uncomfortable but cooperated; honestly my fingers did hurt.      

       The doctor examined my hand, he slowly moved my fingers around and then squeezed them, blood oozed out of two of my fingers. “Hmm, the fingers seem to all be cut up, but I think you might have some glass in them.” He said. “What is your name dear?”

       “Umm, Chione.” I said.

       “What a beautiful name.”

       “Her name is Alexandra, Chione is her Egyptian name but she prefers Alexandra.” The Prince said.

       I quickly turned my head and looked at him, his face looked hard and serious, no joke intended. He still didn’t look at me.

       The doctor hesitated. “Yes, Alexandra, that is a beautiful name as well!” He said smiling, but then turned to the Prince. “My Prince, why don’t you return to the banquet? I will take care of Alexandra.”

       The Prince nodded “Please tell Subira I say hi.”

       The doctor smiled and nodded. “Of course.”

       The Prince said goodbye and then walked away.

       The doctor invited me in and sat me on a chair next to a table. “Now my dear, you are the girl who got beaten by that Aziza and didn’t cry at all, am I correct?” He asked me putting his hand on his chin.

       “Yes, I am” I said, proudly.

       He laughed, “I knew it!” He turned around and pulled out a small dish and a pair of tweezers, he put it on the table and walked into another room.

       “Darling? What’s wrong?” I heard a woman say.

       “A girl has gotten glass into her fingers. I’m just going to help her take it all out.” The doctor said.

       About a minute later a tall woman walked out of the room, she was absolutely beautiful. She had a perfect face with big brown eyes and high cheek bones. Her hair was long, black, and she had thick curls that fell over her shoulders and went down her back. Her skin was a pure copper colour and had no flaws. She wore a long dress that went down to her toes and her fingernails were painted a pinkish colour that matched her lips.

       I got up and bowed, she truly looked like a queen. “Oh, my dear! Please, there’s no need for that.” She said cheerfully.

       “But my Lady—” I started.

       “Please, Please, just call me Subira!” She said taking my hand “What your name dear?”

       “Chione” I said.

       “How beauty—”

       “No dear, her real name is Alexandra. Chione is her Egyptian name, but she prefers Alexandra.” The doctor said as he poked his head out of the room and winked at me.

       “Alexandra? That’s different… I love it!” She said smiling so all her perfect teeth were showing.

       “Oh, and the Prince said hello.” Dr. Tumini said.

       “Oh my, I missed him, didn’t I?” Lady Subira asked frowning.

       Dr. Tumini laughed.

       The doctor walked back out of the room with some bandages and needles. He told me to sit down and hold my hand out. It took quite a while to get the glass out, clean the wounds and then bandage them but the doctor sat there and did it patiently.

       I was happy with the respect that the couple gave me.   Any other doctor wouldn’t have taken their time because I am, after all, just a slave.

       As soon as they finished they even offered me food. “No thank you!” I said. I thanked them and then left.

       I walked out of the hallway and into the palace garden, roaming around for a bit and then sat down on a beautiful fountain made completely of marble. I just sat there and stared at the sky. The moon was out already and the crickets were chirping. There was a nice, light breeze and the flowers made the air smell amazing.

       I sat there, deep in thought when I heard a noise.

       I turned around, and glared.