17. not a nice person

I thought the crying was bad enough through the phone

I thought the crying was bad enough through the phone. I couldn't be more wrong.

The sight I walked into after hastily hopping out of the car and making a beeline towards the doors was enough to have me stumble back.

Like, really stumble.

The place was a wreck. Cracked crayons, stained white colored paper, and the spilled liquid dripping from the counter almost caused me to trip. The usual occupied stools and tables weren't filled, but the half-filled jugs of beer and scattered salt and lime made me think they were once occupied.

God, I'm so dead.

I couldn't find the weeping girl at first. It wasn't until I hovered over the edge of the bar and found Mabel crouching lowly beside Luna, curled up in a fetal position with her back against the wooden bar. I couldn't help the silent curse that escaped my mouth, but the scene physically had me grip the edge of the counter to stop me from falling over.

Mabel had caught sight of me, and I instantly regretted ever shooting out the womb. The sharp, withering glare she sent my way promised eternal suffering and knowing Mabel — she meant it.

Not only that, but I knew she was disappointed.

Disappointed that I had placed such a big responsibility on her so suddenly without any regard to her busy workday or that I selfishly used her helpfulness to go get fucked in every sense of the word or even the fact that I had completely shattered this innocent girl's trust the first chance I got.

Her disappointment is valid and expected, but that doesn't mean it hurt any less.

God, I can't even look at them — her.

She hadn't made a move to look up at me when I made my way around the counter. I don't know whether to feel grateful or hurt by her lack of acknowledgment, but what the fuck do I know?

There was no reason for me to feel that way, but I couldn't help it. Her small sniffles and whimpers sounded helpless, tired even. And she was so small, so fucking small all I could think about was how insensitive I've been to someone who knows nothing beyond the love she gives.

Now, she knows just how awful sharing that love could be. All because of me.

I made sure to make my movements as slowly as possible, positive whatever landmine I step on will set someone off and tear me a new one. The closer I got, the more Mabel's glare intensified, willing me to stay away and never walk this Earth knowing peace.

I don't blame her.

I just couldn't help but want to clean this up. Clean up my mess, fix whatever damage I've done that maybe I wasn't aware of.... or that I was but decided to ignore instead. I just needed to make it right.

Copying Mabel, I crouched in front of Luna. Mabel's heated stare burned holes in the side of head, almost shielding Luna's eyes from me as she smoothed her front curls away from her face.