11. candy man

It takes a lot to get me up and going through with a routine of slipping a t-shirt and jeans at nine in the morning

It takes a lot to get me up and going through with a routine of slipping a t-shirt and jeans at nine in the morning. I don't even process what I could be wearing, slipping in and out of sleep as I ran a hand through the mound that's formed on my head from rolling around in my sleep.

Molly called me this morning to tell me to dress Luna accordingly so she can pick her up and take her shopping. I cringed at the idea of having to "dress" the monstrosity of a child that laid unconscious in my bed. Last night was not all sunshine and rainbows, let me tell you, they don't sleep soundly at all. She practically used me as a mattress and blanket all in one. She cuddled up to my side, chest, and neck, while tangling her legs with my giant ones. I felt claustrophobic and unable to squirm away. Even in her sleep, she always seems to find me.

"She needs some new pair of clothes. She may be an orphan now, but I am not letting that child look like one." Molly grumbled through the phone. I only nodded, fully aware she couldn't see me, but I wasn't fully there either. I glanced over at Luna, her arms and legs sprawled on the bed. Least one of us is getting some sleep.

"Owen? Capish? I'll be there in five minutes."

After she hung up, I tossed my phone aside and ran a hand down my face. Leaning my head against the headboard, I looked down at Luna and noticed her eyelids twitching.

Sneaky.

"I know you're awake, moon child. Get up." I yank at the white sheets beneath her, jolting her down to the foot of the bed. She was light, so she came down pretty quickly.

With a light grunt, she stumbled off the tall bed and landed on her butt on the floor. Luckily, she looked half awake, so she probably felt nothing.

"Mmh" She grunted, looking around my room with a dazed expression.

"Get up, Molly's picking you up."

"Mmh?"

"You're going shopping," I crouched down to meet her eyes, making sure she heard me right, "Buy some clothes, shoes-" I caught a whiff of her breath and held my own, "-and a toothbrush."

She scrunched her button nose in reply, tiredly rubbing her eyes and releasing a giant yawn. It took her minute to take in where she was, slowly giving my room a once over. I didn't know what else to do so I stood up straight and stared at her as she examined my room. Her eyes finally took in my figure, tilting her head back to look at me. Wordlessly, she reached out and grabbed a fist-full of my jeans, pulling herself off the ground and stumbling into my side. Her brown eyes peered back up at me again, softer this time.

"Mommy?" She asked, her voice incredibly soft. I was taken back by the sudden question, almost forgetting this little girl had a mother. Truthfully, the entire time Luna has been here with us I made it my mission to remind myself she has someone to go back to. She didn't belong to us. Even if Michael and Molly have grown fond of her, it isn't our place to decide whether or not we're keeping her. Hell, I'm not keeping her. We're already in enough trouble for kidnapping the kid, I am not willing to fall for her.