49_ apparation lessons

Ed found herself walking alone to Potions one day.

Without Draco, it was like an empty void had filled her heart.

Her hands were colder now that he wasn't there to hold them; his absence was like a ghost that never went away.

Even when she did see him, it was only in moments of stolen glances and hope of what couldn't be.

But no matter how hard she tried to forget, she was constantly reminded of this every time she walked into Potions class.

"Settle down, settle down, please! Quickly, now, lots to work to get through this afternoon," Slughorn announced as Ed walked into the classroom.

She sat down in her usual spot and absentmindedly played with the ring Draco gave her, trying to block out her loud thoughts.

"Golpalott's Third Law... who can tell me—? But Miss Granger can, of course!" Slughorn continued.

Ed rolled her eyes when Hermione recited it as quickly as possible.

One day she would prove to everyone that she was capable of more than Hermione ever was.

"Precisely!" Said Professor Slughorn.

He soon gave them instructions to create an antidote to an unknown potion, and everyone immediately started working.

Ed remembered how Potions used to be so much fun, but now she barely even smiled.

I wish Malorie was here, she thought.

She always made things better, even if it was because Snape yelled at us to pay attention, she chuckled to herself.

Ed soon got back to work and tried everything she knew to complete the task.

However, nothing was quite working.

"Why is this turning green?" She said, getting frustrated.

She looked over at Draco as she continued to stir her antidote and noticed that he was having trouble, too.

Before she knew it, the class was over.

"Times... UP!" Professor Slughorn suddenly called out.

Ed was disappointed that she didn't finish, but no one else seemed to either.

"Well, let's see how you've done, Blaise... what have you got for me?" Slughorn asked as he walked over to the Slytherin table.

"Yes, yes... not too bad at all, Blaise, not bad at all."

"Let's take a look at yours, Mr. Malfoy..." he examined.

"Well, you were on the right track, that's for sure."

"And Mr. Nott—yours could use some improvement," he said as he smelled the smoke coming out of the cauldron.

"Miss Koldings, on the other hand, has done an outstanding job," Slughorn beamed.

"It seems that you just needed a few more ingredients."

Ed nodded in agreement and then smiled, proud of herself that she had done better than her classmates.

That is, until Slughorn inspected Harry's potion.

Apparently, Harry had used a bezoar, and clearly had the best performance based on the teacher's reaction.

Ed scowled, but Draco was so mad that he accidentally knocked over his own antidote all over himself.

"Ugh, disgusting!" He said.