❊ Chapter 5 ❊

you ever just casually almost die?
———————————

you ever just casually almost die?———————————

———————————

* this chapter is properly edited! woo! *

* if there's a sudden switch in quality between chapters, that's why. i'm working on it, i promise! qwq *

———————————

S1:E1: Departure x and x Friends

———————————

"M/N, have you finished packing yet?"

Elias took a long sip of his coffee, glancing at the boy sitting in front of him. His eyes were narrowed sternly, though his tone was as light as the sweet cream-filled coffee in his mug. He drank a bit too much caffeine for a newly 16-year-old, though he'd never be caught dead admitting it.

Right across from him, M/N was enjoying a warm mug of peppermint tea. He messed around with the handle of his mug boredly, before perking up at the question. His eyes lit up as he grinned proudly, "Yep! All done."

Elias raised a brow, sending him an unconvinced look. "Are you sure?"

"Completely sure!"

". . ." Elias examined his expression for a moment, eventually giving a satisfied hum as he took another sip of his mug. "Alright. Good job, M/N."

A small clink sounded as he set his mug down with a sigh. His expression had shifted to one of concern, rather than contentedness. M/N set his mug down slowly in response, his head tilting in confusion at the sudden, sullen atmosphere.

"Listen." Elias' voice came out with a heavy tone. His eyes met M/N's with a glare, but they softened after just a few seconds. The dining room was silent as he paused to contemplate his next words. "I. . . get that you want to be stronger and all. You want a chance to test your skills. And I trust you enough to handle yourself. . . but you do know just how dangerous the hunter exam is, right?"

M/N frowned, his brows furrowing in slight annoyance. Despite his expression, his fingers had tightened around the handle of his mug.
They've been having this conversation for a while — since he was 10.

He was 12 now. It really wasn't that much time, but to M/N, two years felt like near-eternity now.

Elias noticed M/N's expression, and he was quick to rephrase as he raised a hand up assuredly, "I mean — the exam isn't like anything you've been through, M/N. It'll be even harsher since you'll be new there. You could seriously hurt! — or even worse. . ." His gaze fell down to the table as he frowned.