chapter six ➸ of apples and apple pies

"Do you live in a house?" Rowan asked, her focus set mainly on the sprinkles she was placing precisely on each cookie, one-by-one.

"I do," Lauren nodded, sitting on the counter and watching as the small child continued perfecting her creations.

"I live in a house."

"I know you do, we're here right now."

"Oh yeah. I forgot."

Lauren laughed, realizing just how much Rowan favored her mother. She slid off the island, grabbing a paper towel and wiping the crumbs off of the countertop.

"I'm done, see? They're colorful," Rowan observed, pointing out each individual cookie to Lauren, who listened intently as the small child explained the meaning behind every one.

"They look delicious. Let's let them cool off and then we can put them in a pretty jar for when your mom gets home, okay?"

"Sounds like a plan, kangaroo," Rowan hummed, hopping off the stood and running off into the living room. Lauren chuckled to herself, putting the sprinkles away before heading into the room after Rowan.

"I know this song!" Rowan exclaimed, running up to Lauren and holding up the older girl's phone. Camila's name flashed across the screen and Lauren looked down at Rowan, confused.

"I know this song, kangaroo! Mommy sings it every night, that's how I sleep. See?" she said, running over and setting the phone on the coffee table. She proceeded to spin around in a circle, humming along to the Lauren's ringtone.

"It's about fireflies," Rowan said, growing dizzy and sitting down on the floor.

"I know," Lauren smiled, walking over and picking up the phone off the table, which had now stopped ringing.

She called Camila back, sitting down on the couch.

"Hello?"

"Rowan knows our song?"

Lauren smirked when there was silence on the other end of the line, knowing she had obviously caught Camila without an explanation.

"It's a good song," Camila finally said.

"That it is," Lauren laughed. "What's up?"

"I'm in-between classes. I just wanted to see what you guys wanted for dinner."

"What makes you think I'm staying for dinner?" Lauren joked. But Camila took it seriously.

"Oh... I-I just figured. That's fine... Can you ask Rowan what she feels like, then?" Camila stammered.

"I'm kidding, Mila. Rowan wants ice cream. Right Rowan?"

"Rowan wants a veggie burger, kangaroo," Rowan stated in the background.

"Your kid is weird," Lauren teased, and she heard Camila laugh on the other line.

"Psh, you're crazy."

"I know."

There was silence on both ends, which lasted a few moments before Camila spoke up again.

"Takeout it is then?"

"Works for me," Lauren laughed, running a hand through her hair.

"See you soon, then."

"Don't fall asleep in class."

"Don't count on it," Camila groaned dramatically before ending the call.

--

"Real dinosaurs don't laugh, Lauren," Rowan said, crossing her arms.