chapter ten ➸ the abc's of missing "u"

"Sorry about that," Camila laughed nervously, pushing open her bedroom door. "I need to stop letting her watch so many romance movies with m-" she was cut off when a pair of arms snaked around her waist and pulled her into the room. She was about to cry out when a pair of lips met her own.

Lauren's lips.

Every instinct inside her was screaming for her to pull away, but Camila practically melted into Lauren's touch.

The kiss only lasted a few seconds before Camila panicked, placing her hands on Lauren's shoulders and separating them.

She swallowed hard, trying to find her words before she spoke.

"W-what was that?" she breathed. Camila was fighting the urge to bring her hands to her lips. This had to be a dream.

Panic flashed in Lauren's eyes and suddenly both girls realized just how close they were in proximity to one another. Each took a step back.

"I-I...." Lauren's voice croaked out. She was instantly regretting her burst of courage. The dark-haired girl shook her head and turned to leave.

Rowan's voice flashed in the back of Camila's head.

"Do it again." Camila blurted out.

Lauren turned around. "What?"

"Do it again..." Camila said quieter than before.

"Camila, I..."

"Lauren, shut up."

Lauren tensed at the tone of Camila's voice, taking a step backwards.

Camila took a step forwards.

"Please, Lauren, please," she pleaded, shaking her head. "You need to... I-I need to know I'm not going crazy."

"You... Camila... I-I wasn't thinking... I'm sorry.... You don't... Y-"

Lauren's stuttering was cut off when Camila took a step forward, closing the gap between them and pressing Lauren up against the wall. Their lips connected only moments later.

Camila's assertiveness took Lauren by surprise, but she quickly kissed the girl back. It was slow, hesitant, but still shaking with the shock of the entire situation.

The kiss broke after what seemed like too short of a time. Their eyes met and Camila suddenly became aware of the fact that she was holding Lauren up against the wall. She quickly let go of the older girl and moved away.

"You heard..." she realized, her eyes landing on the baby monitor next to her bed. Her cheeks grew red and she cursed herself for leaving the small device on.

Lauren followed Camila's line of sight. She nodded, unsure of what to say.

"I'm sorry," both girls blurted out at the same time. They both froze.

"I-I'm gonna go to bed..." Lauren said quietly, tearing her eyes away from Camila and turning to walk out of the room.

Camila opened her mouth to speak, but nothing came out. The bedroom door shut behind Lauren and Camila brought her hand to her lips, still tasting Lauren on them.

Why was she crying?

--

Neither of the girls mentioned the kiss the next morning. Lauren was leaving. Nothing could happen. Camila drove them to the airport, making up an excuse so she could stay and wait with Lauren for her plane to board. Lauren didn't mind.

"Where are you going, kangaroo?" Rowan asked, standing in front of a seated Lauren.

"I've got to go home now, Ro. I told you that, remember?"