chapter nine ➸ i just happened to overhear

“Who is it?” a small voice rang out from the other side of the door, and Lauren laughed.

“Definitely not a kangaroo,” she replied with a smirk on her face.

The door flew open and Rowan ran into her arms. “Roo!” she squealed.

Lauren laughed, slipping into Ally’s apartment and closing the door behind her.

“Ally’s peeing.”

“Rowan!” Ally’s voice rang out from the other room, making both her and Lauren giggle.

Ally emerged from the bathroom a few seconds later, shaking her head at Lauren. “I don’t know how Camila handles her,” she joked, poking Rowan on the nose.

“Camila told me you’d show up eventually. Make yourself at home,” Ally smiled, motioning around her apartment.

Lauren smiled, walking over to the couch that Rowan had just run over to. She immediately climbed onto Lauren’s lap. Ally came and sat down next to them. They picked a movie on Netflix, and Rowan fell asleep only a couple minutes later.

Lauren raised an eyebrow when Ally paused the movie, looking over at the girl with a confused expression on her face.

“I know about Camila.”

Lauren tilted her head to the side.

“I mean, Karla,” Ally nodded once.

Lauren understood. “She told you?”

Ally nodded. “Yeah. I mean, I don’t blame her. I wouldn’t be able to hold something in like that for very long. I’m just glad she told me and not some random stranger on the street.” Lauren nodded in agreement. “I just had to tell you. I know who you are, I recognized you from the pictures Camila’s shown me.”

Lauren smiled softly, thinking back to the pictures.

“She’s really happy you’re here, Lauren,” Ally said softly, squeezing Lauren’s shoulder.

“So am I.”

——

“How’d you meet Camila?” Lauren asked, watching a sleepy Rowan pick at the mac and cheese Ally had made for her.

“Funny story, actually…”

1 year ago

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry,” Camila gasped, running after her daughter and scooping her up into her arms.

The other girl eyed her car, which now had a fresh layer of finger-paint smeared all over the side. Camila bit her lip and proceeded to scold Rowan.

“I’m so sorry,” Camila breathed again, shaking her head. “It was so nice out today I figured we’d do something fun and I look away for one second and then all of a sudden she’s running off, I swear she’s a human tornado, I can pay you back or s—“

“It’s okay,” the other girl smiled, Camila could’ve sworn she was laughing. “Really, it’s fine. I have tons of cousins, I know how it is. I was thinking of getting a new paint job anyway, she just beat me to it. What’s her name?”

“Rowan,” Camila said softly, relieved that the other girl didn’t seem phased.

“Mama,” the toddler cooed upon hearing her name, bringing her hands up to grab Camila’s face, covering her cheeks in green paint. Camila gasped and the child giggled.

The other girl laughed and shook her head. “I’m Ally, did you just move in? I haven’t seen you around.”

Camila pulled Rowan’s hands away from her face, which was now covered in paint. She laughed softly and nodded. “I’m Camila. I moved in not too long ago.”