03ᵀʰᵉ ᴮᵉᵗ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟑

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟑

"ᴵ'ˡˡ ᵈᵒ ⁱᵗ ᶠᵒʳ ᵃ ᵈᵒˡˡᵃʳ"

━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━

The party of kids watched the girl in red from a distance as she was skateboarding.

"There's no way that's Mad Max." Mike was watching from the back of the group. He didn't believe that that girl took over Dig Dug.

Will was in the front, closer to the fence, looking at her redhead. "Yeah, girls don't play video games." His eyes quickly darted to Artie upon realizing his words. "I didn't mean it like that."

"I'm the girl who has most of the best scores compared to all of you." Now Artie included herself into the conversation. Whereas, she was previously leaning on the wall just a few feet from the group of boys.

Dustin turned around to her, "But that's different."

"How is that any different?" Artie furrowed her brows at him.

"Artie, why don't you just ask her? It would make things so much easier." Lucas asked Artie, wondering what the big deal was.

"Yeah, you're a girl," Mike told her.

Artie slowly spoke with a bit of sarcasm. "But that's different." She then looked through the fence, seeing the girl riding a skateboard. Artie watched Max skate by herself.

Dustin turned his body to face her as he put his palms together as if praying, "Please, Artie. We have to know."

"Yeah, she'll talk to you." Will nodded in agreement with the boys.

Lucas crossed his arms as he looked at Artie, "You have to."

Walking towards the fence, Artie turned to Lucas, "Fine. I'll do it...for a dollar."

"Deal." Lucas quickly dug into his pocket and pulled out four quarters. "This will be yours if you come back with the information."

Artie had a cheeky smile, feeling confident as she raised her hand out, showing her palm. "All or you can go talk to her yourself."

Lucas sighed as he stared at her. "Fine." He dropped four quarters onto Artie's hand.

With that, Artie walked away from her friends and towards the school lot where Max was.

The closer she got, the louder she felt her heartbeat. Artie thought it was from the adrenaline of being able to confront the one who took her first place. She was just nervous, but why was she so nervous?

Artemis Oswalt hardly ever got nervous.

Watching the girl skate in a circle, Artie shouted out towards her, "You!"