04ᵀʰᵉ ᴴᵃˡˡᵒʷᵉᵉⁿ ᴵⁿᵛⁱᵗᵃᵗⁱᵒⁿ

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟒

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝟎𝟒

"ʸᵉˢ, ᵗʰᵉ ˢᵗᵃˡᵏᵉʳˢ"

━━━━━━━★━━━━━━━

The Next Morning

The older brother, Ian, threw a piece of fruit into his mouth as he walked around in the kitchen. "Artie, what are you dressing up as for Halloween?"

Artie had her backpack sitting on her lap as she ate the fruit in front of her. "Jason."

"That the one with the hockey mask?" He asked her with a slight change of expression as he grabbed his car keys. "You kids are all scary these days."

Artie hurries to take one last bite of her fruit before following her brother to the car. "What about you?"

In the car he shrugged his shoulders, "Not sure, you know I do things last second."

"Is dad at work? I thought he retired?" Artie held her backpack that was placed on top of her lap. She saw that his car was gone. "And aren't we like loaded with money 'cause of mom? And dad but mostly mom."

Her brother began driving them both to school. "Dad loves playing around with his cars. So, why not fix others and make more side money too? You know how bored he gets."

Once they reached the school Artie told her brother bye as she walked over to her friends who were in their Halloween costumes. When she approached them they were arguing that there were two Venkman's.

"Because you're not black?" Lucas mocked Mike who was stuttering.

Artie froze behind them. "I'm going to keep walking." She started to walk forward, toward the school doors.

"Artie," Dustin spoke out loud. He turned around, looking at all the other students who didn't have their costumes on. "Why is no one else wearing costumes?" He then looked at Artie. "Why aren't you wearing a costume?"

Artie looked at their ghostbusters costumes. "When you guys said to wear the costumes tomorrow you meant at school too?" She then glanced around at the other students. "I thought you meant when we meet up to wear them." She patted Dustin's back before leaving her friends outside. "But I am so glad I got mixed signals from that."

She went ahead to walk into the school building.

Artie was at her locker before the boys were but she still saw them in the school halls. She saw Dustin and Lucas eyeing the girl who rode her skateboard in the school halls. The two boys then made eye contact with Artie and quickly walked over to her. Max had just stopped by her locker.

"I know," Artie spoke before they could. "The new girl is actually kind of cool-"

Dustin and Lucas both slowly turned to her. "Nu-uh. No."