A Family Of Three Gets A Little Bit Bigger

"I wa Cawos! I wa Cawos! I wa Cawos!" The small toddler cried out. "I know Mal. I know you do. Your daddy went to go get him," April told the toddler in her gentle voice as she sat on her bed and just held the toddler close to her once they had been cleaned up and changed.

April had been trying for hours to get Mal to calm down, but she just wouldn't calm down and April was starting to feel like she couldn't do this. April wasn't used to this. Mal had been slowly going backwards but it had never been this far back.

She knew that Mal was only two, but this was one of the first times she was really experiencing toddlerhood with Mal and she didn't know if she could handle it. "Hey I'm home," Nick called out as he opened the door.

"Finally! What did they say?" April asked as she looked at her fiancé. "Well they said that they understand and they know that we really want Carlos with us however," Nick began but before he could say anything else a young boy came running in.

"I get to live here! I get to live here!" The young four year old screamed out excitedly as he ran in and tickled the now happy and giggling toddler. "Wait, we got approved! For real!" April asked Nick who just laughed as he looked at the happy little boy.

"Carlos we were supposed to trick her," Nick playfully told the little boy who shrugged. "I was too excited! I forgotted!" Carlos told Nick making April look at her fiancé again.

"You tried to trick me with something like that!" April asked as she playfully hit him, making Nick laugh as he shrugged. "It was so awesome! You should have seen it! He made the mean lady cry!" Carlos called out as he smiled and tickled his sister again.

"Hehe! Sop da! Id tiwals!" The small toddler cried out, making Carlos laugh as he was just happy to be with his sister yet again. "Nope I'm winning!" Carlos told the toddler who just squeezed her way out as she turned it around on her brother.

"I wi now!" Mal told her brother as she tickled him making him giggle as he tried to fight off the tiny girl's tiny fingers. "You made someone cry?" April asked Nick once the two kids had ran off to continue their tick fight out of the room.

"Well I wouldn't say that persay," Nick told April who just gave him a look. "What did you say?" April asked Nick who just shrugged again as he remembered earlier.

*Earlier*

"Okay I don't know who you people think you are but you can't do this," Nick practically screamed out as he entered the social worker's office where Carlos happened to be as he was having his weekly meeting.

"Um sir you can't just barge in here like this when I'm in the middle of a meeting with a child and you can't just talk to me like that either," the social worker told the young adult who just rolled his eyes as he didn't care.

"Look, I don't care about that! All I care about is the fact that you are allowing this messed up system to separate a family!" Nick told the social worker who just sighed.

"I know it's not ideal, but I assure you that we are doing what's best for the children involved," the social worker told Nick who felt rage build up in him.

"HOW! HOW IS IT BEST TO TAKE A LITTLE BOY AWAY FROM HIS BABY SISTER AND HIS BIG SISTER! AND HOW IS IT BEST TO TAKE A BIG BROTHER AWAY FROM A TWO YEAR OLD TODDLER WHO LOVES HIM AND HE LOVES HER! YOU WEREN'T THERE WHEN THEY SCREAMED AND BEGGED TO NOT BE SEPARATED! YOU WEREN'T THERE WHEN MY DAUGHTER CRIED OUT HYSTERICALLY BECAUSE HER BROTHER WAS BEING RIPPED AWAY FROM HER! TO THE POINT WHERE SHE CRIED SO MUCH SHE THREW UP! THAT'S RIGHT THIS MESSED UP SYSTEM MADE MY TWO YEAR OLD CRY SO MUCH SHE VOMITED! SO TELL ME HOW ANY OF THIS IS "DOING WHAT'S RIGHT!" Nick screamed out as he couldn't take it anymore.

Watching his baby cry out so much for her brother that she threw up was just heartbreaking and hearing the young boy's cries as well as he was ripped away from his family had been one of the worst feelings he had ever felt.

"Mal was crying, she threw up?" Carlos asked as he had been secretly listening in on the conversation even though he had been given headphones and told to watch the iPad.

Nick just froze as he hadn't realized that Carlos had been in the room. "Oh bud I'm sorry I didn't see you here," Nick told the young boy who just looked at him again.

"Is Mally otay?" Carlos asked as he was worried about his baby sister making Nick smile a little as he nodded. "Yeah bud she's okay, but she really misses you," Nick told the four year old who nodded as he started crying again.

"I miss her too! I wanna go home with you," Carlos cried out as he ran and hugged onto Nick making him cry as he tried to hold back his tears. "I know bud there's nothing me and April want more, but she's not letting you. It's all her fault," Nick told the young boy as he pointed to the social worker, making the young boy look at his social worker with a look of hurt and betrayal.

"You're the one keeping me from my family?" Carlos asked the social worker with his sad and hurt puppy dog eyes, causing the social worker to look down as she couldn't handle looking at Carlos and his sad puppy eyes.

"Don't look down. Look at him and tell him what you're doing after all it is what's best isn't it," Nick told the social worker making her start crying as she couldn't handle this anymore.

"Okay I'm sorry. I'll try to look into better options in fact let's start now," the social worker told Nick who smiled as he looked at Carlos who was now smiling as well.

"I knew we would come to an agreement," Nick told the social worker who just nodded as she began to look through all the files and paperwork that she had.

*Back to the present*

Nick was brought out of his reminiscing when he felt a hand shake him making him quickly snap out of it as he looked at April who was looking at him in concern.

"Oh sorry I was just thinking about something and it doesn't matter what I said. All that matters is that Carlos is ours now," Nick told April who just slowly nodded as she didn't understand what really happened, but she was happy that she got Carlos back.

"Yeah you're right. We should probably go find the kids before...," April began but stopped when they heard a loud crash making the two quickly drop everything as they went running towards the crash.

"What happened!" The two young adults cried out in panic as they quickly made their way over to the crash where they found the toddler sobbing uncontrollably while Carlos was trying to pick up the broken glass from the cup that had shattered on the floor.

"She didn't mean to! Please no hurt her! She didn't mean it!" The young boy cried out hysterically as he looked up at the two.